Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple TV 4 have built in VPN client?

Hi.

Would like to know if ATV4 does have built in vpn client, so we can install 3rd party apps to manage it, in a similar way we can do it on iphone, ipad and mac.

Thanks.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 4:11 AM

18 replies

Oct 9, 2015 7:42 AM in response to pinifarina

unlikely it has build in vpn most usage for vpn is to get around one being in a location where one can't get an internet service because its only in another country

doubt apple would build in special functionality to get around that

if they would let people add apps which did it is a big maybe there are vpn clients for ios devices so maybe

Oct 9, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Rudegar

Actually VPNs are intended to give you a secure connection to a private network so that you can access corporate systems and resources.

The use of a VPN to access content that is restricted to a country other than the one you're in is a violation of the TOS for the service you're attempting to access (if it were not, it would not be restricted) and/or the law.

Oct 11, 2015 1:23 AM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks for the replies 🙂

I'm aware of the not so legal usage of vpn but it's a privacy matter only.

I hate to think that what i browse is recorded somewhere.

So, can somebody with an Apple TV 4 actually confirm or deny if it is possible to install 3rd party apps (like hide my *** or similar) on the atv4 to manage vpn connections?

Also, i'm not interested on exterior solutions, like do it on the router and so on. I'm interested only in do it directly on the atv.

I use it on all my devices and it will be a major factor to decide if i'll buy atv4 or not.

Thanks a lot 🙂

Oct 11, 2015 2:18 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hm, i didn't know it hasn't been released yet 😟

So that's why! I really couldn't figure it out why it was so dificult to get this info, until now!

On the other hand, well, this is actually the official support forum the the atv manufacturer.

Would be that hard to get an official answer?

Btw, whats the ETA to release?

Thanks on the update 🙂

Oct 11, 2015 2:12 AM in response to pinifarina

These forums aren't actually official Support, they are user to user forums. Apple don't read or post here. Once it's released you could try contacting Apple directly to ask: https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action

Apple haven't given an actual release date (they tend not to, just suddenly it becomes available). Several sites have suggested 'late October'.

Oct 31, 2015 10:31 AM in response to pinifarina

pinifarina wrote:

In a general speaking, it calls privacy. I dont like to think that somewhere someone is making records on what i browse.

Then you should not be using services like Netflix, Hulu. Showtime, HBO. The terms of service you agree to when you sign up stipulate that you will be using the service in a specific geographic area and that they will keep records. If you don't agree to those terms, you don't use the service. Expecting Apple to assist you in violating another company's TOS or in circumventing international copyright law is a little absurd.

Oct 31, 2015 11:05 AM in response to Steve Neal

Steve Neal wrote:

To be fair - iPhones and iPads have native VPN support. There are perfectly valid reasons to want to connect over a VPN that aren't based around out-of-region access to streaming services. (I use one to let me access my home network when working away from home for instance, and I know others who have holiday homes who do similarly)

But iPhones and iPads aren't primarily designed for consuming media content. I agree that there are lots of legitimate reasons for using a VPN. I just can't think of too many of them that apply to an Apple TV.

Oct 31, 2015 5:51 PM in response to Steve Neal

(I use one to let me access my home network when working away from home for instance, and I know others who have holiday homes who do similarly)

Yes, and you aren't allowed to do either if those locations are in another country when streaming licensed content under the terms and conditions you agreed to when purchasing/renting content from the iTunes Store.

Does Apple TV 4 have built in VPN client?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.