Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS App Store update icons

I am posting this here as there is no iOS App Store category but this is happening on all of my devices: iPad Air 2, iPad 2 & iPhone 5.

SInce last night, when I check 'updates' in the iOS App Store, the updates are showing but the icons for the Apos are grey, The App icons all appear fine on my iPad & in the rest of the App Store categories. Updating the Apps changes their status to 'open' but the App Icons still remain grey in 'updates' section.

User uploaded file

I have tried signing out & back into the App Store with no change,

The Apps are updating fine but I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. I checked the App Store status & it's green as well.

Not sure if this matters but I am in Canada so wondering if this is a Canadian App Store issue. All of my devices are running iOS 9.0.2

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2, 64 GB

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 6:15 AM

18 replies

Oct 9, 2015 10:23 AM in response to jazcan

Is anyone else seeing this? I reported it through feedback to Apple. Rebooting & using on another network shows the same results. I synced my iPad to iTunes to see if that would fix it but still no joy. The Updates window in the App section of iTunes on my iMac is showing the icons correctly. I updated one of the apps from iTunes to my iPad and that App disappeared completely from the Updates list on my iPad. The app is still there just doesn't show that there was ever an update.

Very strange😕

Oct 9, 2015 12:18 PM in response to jazcan

Same here,jazcan. I noticed this starting last night as well. I only noticed on my iPads since I did not check my iPhone at that time. I checked the iPhone maybe 1/2 hour ago and that's when I noticed it on that device as well.

I tried the same thing you did as far as signing out/in of the App Store along with a forced restart with nothing working/fixing it. I've also found it not to be specific network dependent. I am in the US so the Canadian App Store theory doesn't jive. Looks like it's yet another issue to add onto the pile. 😐

Oct 10, 2015 5:19 AM in response to jazcan

Hi all,

had similar issue. In fact "issues" after updatingto iOS 9.

I was able to solve of them resetting iPad.

Turn off completely > hold sceen off button (same button that you used to turn off iPad) and home button ( round button that you use as fingerprint scanner) simultaneously > Wait until Apple logo appears >Leave buttons > iPad will restart > Connect to internet before you go to App Store. Your problem should be solved.

Thank You. :-)

Oct 10, 2015 5:30 AM in response to jazcan

This is a long shot guess and only a guess. Apple has a new concept called "App Slicing" The developers can send you just a iPad app or iPhone app instead of one size fits all making the app smaller freeing up memory space. Since only the App Store icon is effected it's not a big deal but you might want to send feedback anyway.

Oct 10, 2015 5:52 AM in response to abhijitrs

"Hi all,

had similar issue. In fact "issues" after updatingto iOS 9.

I was able to solve of them resetting iPad.

Turn off completely > hold sceen off button (same button that you used to turn off iPad) and home button ( round button that you use as fingerprint scanner) simultaneously > Wait until Apple logo appears >Leave buttons > iPad will restart > Connect to internet before you go to App Store. Your problem should be solved.

Thank You. :-)"

Didn't work for me.

Oct 10, 2015 11:12 AM in response to abhijitrs

This issue is not solely due to iOS 9 and resetting/power-cycling/logging out/in of the App Store in my personal experience (and apparently evidenced as others here) has no effect. To complicate things, different devices being used here in the household are behaving differently:

2 iPad mini 2's, iOS 9.0.2: icons: no

iPad Air 2, iOS 9.0.2: icons: no

iPhone 5s (#1), iOS 9.0.2: icons: no

iPhone 5s (#2), iOS 8.4: icons: yes

iPad 4th gen, iOS 8.4: icons: no

Oct 10, 2015 2:40 PM in response to jazcan

jazcan wrote:

My iPhone 5 just started getting the icons again.

Same here now as well. After reading your post above, I went back to check on iPhone 5s (#1) and the icons were still blank...but after closing off the App Store app from multitasking again (I always close it and all other apps when done with them), then re-opening and tapping on each App Store section along the bottom (Featured, Top Charts, etc), one I hit Updates, all icons were filled properly. After this initial instance on the iPhone, I went to each device and did the same thing and all devices update icons are properly populated. The trigger seemed to be closing off the App Store from multitasking twice.

Oddness to say the least but at least this particular little niggle seems to have resolved itself.

iOS App Store update icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.