Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If not Siri, who am I talking to ? And what can I Say ???

Hello everyone,

Beyond that "trying to be funny" sentence, is hiding a real question.

I discovered that when I turn off Siri, I still can ask verbally my iPhone to make a call for me.

So I am not talking to Siri but to my iPhone directly in a manner. I don't even need to be online for it to work… (so if you have a poor connexion it will work much faster than using Siri).

There is one caveat with this, it's that "Offline Siri " is much less flexible as far as what you can say. In French for exemple if you say "Appelle Kim" it will not work. You need to use the injonction "Appeler Kim". In other words, the set of "commands" is more restricted, but once you get use to it, you can enjoy Siri's fonction when you have no or little network.

I believe you need to turn off Siri and that it doesn't switch to "online vs offline" Siri by itself.

Hope that helps.

My question ? Ho yes !!

Is there somewhere a list of the commands the "offline" Siri understands ??

PS : as i was about to post that question, I had to choose the category and discovered "Voice Control / Siri"… so I am guessing that the "offline Siri" must be officially called Voice Control ??

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 6:19 AM

Yes, what you are talking to is called Voice Control(if I recall correctly). It is a much more rudimentary voice control system that does not require a data connection. It existed before Siri. Yes, you need to turn off Siri to activate it. Because it doesn't have Apple's massive computing power behind it, it can only understand the things it's programed to understand, not natural language like Siri. Sadly, I flunked French in college (took Russian instead, much easier!) so I can't help you with the commands. A quick Google search turned up this for English:

http://atmac.org/iphone-voice-commands

I'm sure if you searched for "Voice Control Commands iPhone French" or something similar, you'd find something helpful.

Here's the archived Apple article:

Tips for using Voice Control with iPhone and iPod touch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 6:19 AM in response to Franck Aerts Sarl 7 Club

Yes, what you are talking to is called Voice Control(if I recall correctly). It is a much more rudimentary voice control system that does not require a data connection. It existed before Siri. Yes, you need to turn off Siri to activate it. Because it doesn't have Apple's massive computing power behind it, it can only understand the things it's programed to understand, not natural language like Siri. Sadly, I flunked French in college (took Russian instead, much easier!) so I can't help you with the commands. A quick Google search turned up this for English:

http://atmac.org/iphone-voice-commands

I'm sure if you searched for "Voice Control Commands iPhone French" or something similar, you'd find something helpful.

Here's the archived Apple article:

Tips for using Voice Control with iPhone and iPod touch - Apple Support

Oct 9, 2015 6:24 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for your quick and complete (I have the word "through something lo" in my head, but can't figure out what it's exactly and much less how to spell it !!).

Anyway, Thanks a bundle for your answer… the only thing I really doubt is that… Russian is Easier than French !!

Also if you tell me you are American, speaking Russian, highly skilled in computers… and you're telling me you are not a spy… don't expect me to believe you !! :-D

Oct 9, 2015 6:40 AM in response to Franck Aerts Sarl 7 Club

Franck Aerts Sarl 7 Club wrote:

Anyway, Thanks a bundle for your answer… the only thing I really doubt is that… Russian is Easier than French !!

Also if you tell me you are American, speaking Russian, highly skilled in computers… and you're telling me you are not a spy… don't expect me to believe you !! :-D

Russian is phonetic. All the letters in the words are pronounced. Sooooo much easier than French were you folks don't pronounce the last half of most words (or so it seemed in beginning French).

I neither confirm nor deny any relationship with any intelligence agency. 😎

If not Siri, who am I talking to ? And what can I Say ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.