Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to activate imessage for old iphone 5s after upgrading to a new iphone 6s.

I bought a new iphone 6s and want to use my old phone 5S as an ipod/ipad. Everything seems to work except I cannot activate imessage on my old 5S phone. My current IPAD and new 6S are both using the same imessage account without any issues. Same phone number. New 6S and old 5S (no longer under contract) are at ios 9.0.2. I am using same apple id for all devices. Same icloud account. All devices connected to wi-fi. Old 5S set to airplane mode but have tried with airplane mode off and cellular off. WiFi and bluetootheturned on.

After I turn imessage on on my old 5S, it just says "waiting for activation" underneath the "iMessage" toggle but even after leaving in that state for 24 hours, it never activates. Imessage "send&recieve" setting defaults to my apple id which is checked and my phone number which is spinning trying to activate. That was a default action by turning on iMessage.

Note:facetime also shows the same waiting for activation message and my phone number spinning in "you can be reached at" setting.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 7:02 AM

There are no replies.

Unable to activate imessage for old iphone 5s after upgrading to a new iphone 6s.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.