Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No admin user and right after I changed it to standard, what should I do?

After I tried to rename the Admin user account, I created another standard account in the name I desired, then I can change the name of Admin account to the same name. However, I also changed the Admin into Standard, which I supposed to change the other as the Admin then. But now there are 2 Standard users and no more Admin user, so I have no rights to change the permission and password now. What should I do?

When I login to the previous account, everything is locked and appears:

"OS X needs to repair your Library to run applications. Type an administrator's name and password to allow this."

But I tried all username & password I know still cannot "repair". Actually there is no Administrator now?! Really dunno what to do... Pls help!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 10:59 PM

Please take these steps to restore administrator privileges to your account. This somewhat tedious procedure is only necessary if you've confirmed that no working administrator account exists on the system.

If you don't already have a current backup of all your data, you must back up before taking any of the steps below. Ask if you need guidance. You won't need the backup unless something goes wrong—which is always possible.

Step 1

Start up in Recovery mode. The OS X Utilities screen will appear.

Step 2

Take this step only if you use FileVault 2. Launch Disk Utility, then select the icon of the FileVault startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another icon with the same name. Click the Unlock button in the toolbar and enter your login password when prompted. Then quit Disk Utility to be returned to the main screen.

Step 3

Select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. In the window that opens, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window opens. Select your startup volume if not already selected. Pull down the menu labeled

Select the user account

and select

System Administrator (root)

Follow the prompts to set a password. It's safest to choose a password that includes only the characters a-z, A-Z, and 0-9. I suggest you write down the password. If you don't write it down and forget it, you'll have to start over from Step 1.

Select

Restart...

from the menu bar.

Step 4

This step, like Step 2, applies only if you use FileVault. Log in as usual, then select

Log Out...

from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-Q. Don't restart. You'll be returned to the login screen.

Step 5

At the login screen, click Other... Enter "root" (without the quotes) in the Name field, and enter the password you set in Step 3 in the Password field. You should now be logged in as root. This is a potentially dangerous condition. Do nothing while logged in as root except as indicated below. You'll be fine as long as you don't deviate from the plan.

Open the Users & Groups preference pane. Select your usual administrator account in the list of users and check the box marked

Allow user to administer this computer

You'll be prompted to restart. Do that and log in as yourself—not as root. Your administrator status should now be restored.

Step 6 (optional, but recommended)

Follow the instructions in this support article under the heading "Disable the root user." You must authenticate in Directory Utility as "root" with the password you set in Step 3. Authenticating as another administrator won't work.

Credit for this idea to ASC member wessongroup.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 10:59 PM in response to susanne-sg

Please take these steps to restore administrator privileges to your account. This somewhat tedious procedure is only necessary if you've confirmed that no working administrator account exists on the system.

If you don't already have a current backup of all your data, you must back up before taking any of the steps below. Ask if you need guidance. You won't need the backup unless something goes wrong—which is always possible.

Step 1

Start up in Recovery mode. The OS X Utilities screen will appear.

Step 2

Take this step only if you use FileVault 2. Launch Disk Utility, then select the icon of the FileVault startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another icon with the same name. Click the Unlock button in the toolbar and enter your login password when prompted. Then quit Disk Utility to be returned to the main screen.

Step 3

Select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. In the window that opens, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window opens. Select your startup volume if not already selected. Pull down the menu labeled

Select the user account

and select

System Administrator (root)

Follow the prompts to set a password. It's safest to choose a password that includes only the characters a-z, A-Z, and 0-9. I suggest you write down the password. If you don't write it down and forget it, you'll have to start over from Step 1.

Select

Restart...

from the menu bar.

Step 4

This step, like Step 2, applies only if you use FileVault. Log in as usual, then select

Log Out...

from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-Q. Don't restart. You'll be returned to the login screen.

Step 5

At the login screen, click Other... Enter "root" (without the quotes) in the Name field, and enter the password you set in Step 3 in the Password field. You should now be logged in as root. This is a potentially dangerous condition. Do nothing while logged in as root except as indicated below. You'll be fine as long as you don't deviate from the plan.

Open the Users & Groups preference pane. Select your usual administrator account in the list of users and check the box marked

Allow user to administer this computer

You'll be prompted to restart. Do that and log in as yourself—not as root. Your administrator status should now be restored.

Step 6 (optional, but recommended)

Follow the instructions in this support article under the heading "Disable the root user." You must authenticate in Directory Utility as "root" with the password you set in Step 3. Authenticating as another administrator won't work.

Credit for this idea to ASC member wessongroup.

Oct 9, 2015 9:13 PM in response to Linc Davis

Oh I need backup guidance as well. As I force changed the admin name and its home folder. The previous files saved on desktop were all disappeared. How can I backup the previous home folder (I remember the short name)? In the login screen, I saw the User name changed but short name is the old one. And I dunno the Admin name & password for repair the Library. Great thanks for your further help.

Oct 9, 2015 11:05 PM in response to susanne-sg

There are several ways to back up a Mac that is not fully functional. You need an external hard drive or other storage device to hold the data.

1. Start up from the Recovery partition, from Internet Recovery, or from a local Time Machine backup volume (option key at startup.) Launch Disk Utility and follow the instructions in this support article, under “Instructions for backing up to an external hard disk via Disk Utility.” The article refers to starting up from a DVD, but the procedure in Recovery mode is the same. You don't need a DVD if you're running OS X 10.7 or later.

If you use FileVault 2, then you must first unlock the startup volume. Select its icon ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another disk icon, usually with the same name. Click the Unlock button in the toolbar. Enter your login password when prompted.

2. If Method 1 fails because of disk errors, then you may be able to salvage some of your files by copying them in the Finder. If you already have an external drive with OS X installed, start up from it. Otherwise, if you have Internet access, follow the instructions on this page to prepare the external drive and install OS X on it. You'll use the Recovery installer, rather than downloading it from the App Store.

3. If you have access to a working Mac, and both it and the non-working Mac have FireWire or Thunderbolt ports, start the non-working Mac in target disk mode. Use the working Mac to copy the data to another drive. This technique won't work with USB (except on a MacBook Retina with a USB-C port), Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth.

4. If the internal drive of the non-working Mac is user-replaceable, remove it and mount it in an external enclosure or drive dock. Use another Mac to copy the data.

No admin user and right after I changed it to standard, what should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.