Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 (and other versions) is crippled

Hello everybody!

Can you tell me why iOS 9 isn't working as advertised in my country? I live in Romania and we don't have traffic, points of interest on maps, location suggestions, news recommendations; spotlight only works offline, siri is dumb and more, much more. Basically every major feature that Apple has introduced in the last years is absent in my country and not mostly every country other than the West. What gives? Apple sells iPhones here too and they're just plain lying on their website (local website). The same thing applies to OSX.

D.

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 7:47 AM

23 replies

Oct 9, 2015 8:09 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I know they say that, but there are 3 problems here:

1. They advertise features that don't work on their local website http://www.apple.com/ro/ios/ios9-preview/

2. They sell iPhones at full price to people in my country and others.

3. Let's say i agree that premium features like 3d maps or public transport are hard to implement world wide. But even basic stuff like currency conversion isn't working. $ to € works. € to Ron doesn't work. What the ****?

Paying as much as other people for a worse experience is simply wrong!

Oct 9, 2015 8:09 AM in response to Danut Florian

Danut Florian wrote:

I know they say that, but there are two problems here:

1. They advertise features that don't work on their local website http://www.apple.com/ro/ios/ios9-preview/

2. They sell iPhones at full price to people in my country and others.

Paying as much as other people for a worse experience is simply wrong

So, you admit that you read this:

Caracteristicile se pot modifica. Este posibil ca unele caracteristici să nu fie disponibile ßn toate regiunile sau toate limbile.

but you bought the phone anyway and now you're complaining about it? Why did you buy it if you thought it was so wrong? I agree there's a problem here but it's not with Apple.

Oct 9, 2015 8:20 AM in response to Danut Florian

Danut Florian wrote:

Meg you do realise that you're defending fine prints now. Nobody reads that and this is how people get fooled.

I can't help it if people are unwilling to read the information given to them. Seems pretty stupid to me and they (and you) have only yourself to blame. Yes, lots of us read the fine print, and the footnotes.

Oct 9, 2015 9:10 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg, not everyone is like you. We can't all afford to sit all day on a forum and procrastinate. Most people do actual work and, when it comes to Apple, chose to trust the brand and don't feel the need to read every single fine print, so they won't be deceived. You're implying that we should be skeptics and expect that Apple's trying to fool us. You might be right here, they sure are trying to do so, but this comes in contradiction with what they stand for and with the brand loyalty and trust that they worked so hard over the years to build. By all standards this is false advertising and nobody is pointing in out.

Furthermore they're plain lying. They state here https://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/#maps-standard that maps standard is available in my country, which is true only in the Bucharest (the capital). The rest of the country uses outdated maps and show only street names with barely some POIs. I'm sure this happens in other countries as well. While Google...

Let's compare Apple "Standard" Map with the competition. Below you can find screenshots of the same area:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Maps is just a small example of the difference in experience that people who live in countries, other that some few in the west, get after paying 1000euros for a phone.

I don't think it's ok to insult people and talk down to them, because i bet that if you were in the same situation you wouldn't be happy. And I'm not buying the iPhone for these features, i just thought that they would actually do something over the years. It seems like they just don't care.

Oct 9, 2015 9:39 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Indeed i misread and i'm sorry for reacting that harsh. The first comment you got from maggiej88 mislead me.

I might not be a native english speaker but i clearly know the meaning of words. Let me help you out here:

Fine print, small print, or "mouseprint" is less noticeable print smaller than the more obvious larger print it accompanies that advertises or otherwise describes or partially describes a commercial product or service.[1] The larger print that is used in conjunction with fine print by the merchant often has the effect of deceiving the consumer into believing the offer is more advantageous than it really is, via a legal technicality which requires full disclosure of all (even unfavorable) terms or conditions, but does not specify the manner (size, typeface, coloring, etc.) of disclosure.

A 12px font on a page which has most of it text over 18px, with a color that matches the background, perfectly qualifies as a fine print.

I see that anything i write here is pointless as you guys resort to irrational replies only to defend Apple. The lack of advertised features is a problem for the rest of the world in which Apple does business, but it seems nobody cares.

iOS 9 (and other versions) is crippled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.