Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2009 Processor Tray Swap from Single to Dual Processors

I was wondering if it is possible to swap out the trays of early 2009 Mac Pro from a single 2.66 quad core to a dual 2.66 quad core.

Could it be as simple as sliding one out and sliding the other in?

I found one on eBay for about $300, does anyone know if or feel it is worth a $300 upgrade. If it worked I would also look at possible processor upgrades up to 3.46 or what ever the 6 cores are.

Thanks

Bob

Early 2009 Mac Pro OS X 10.11

16GB

ATI Radeon HD 5770

Numbers 08

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 8:50 AM

To use 6-cor CPUs and some different CPU you will have to update the firmware on the 2009 (4.1) to that of a 2010 (5.1) Mac Pro

http://www.yourdailymac.net/2011/05/how-to-upgrade-your-mac-pro-2009-to-the-mac- pro-2010-firmware-supports-faster-cpus-a…

Otherwise the trays are are direct replacement

13 replies

Oct 9, 2015 8:55 AM in response to lllaass

Sweet, I had read about the firmware for the processor upgrade.

Was just hopping that the trays are interchangeable.

Do you think it is worth it to step up to dual processors?

I primarily don't run many apps that require a ton of cores, mostly Adobe products.

I believe they like CPU cycles so that why I would eventually step up the processors.

I think for just under $700 bucks I can make it a Dual processor 3.46 12 core.

I already have the OS and scratch drives on PCIe SSD cards running at 6G

Any thoughts on this setup? I need to lug this thing along for another year or so. lol

Thanks again

Bob

Oct 9, 2015 9:09 AM in response to lllaass

If I'm using minimal cores, do you think it would better to just upgrade the single processor to a higher MGhz chip?

Do you need to run exon chips, I just saw a mention of an i7 in a older mac pro.

Still looking into chip compatability.

Any thoughts if its worth going the dual route or a single chip upgrade for around $300 or less will be benifical enough to give PS a little help.

Thanks

Oct 9, 2015 9:49 AM in response to lllaass

Read through the i7 upgrade thread, look like the guy got it working, was a little confusing.

Theoretically, if it is possible to get an i7-6700k 4.0ghz 4 core running would it perform better than a 6 core Xeon?

Both would need firmware flashed, but would it be worth the extra pain and unknown for the i7?

Thanks

Oct 23, 2015 5:36 AM in response to lllaass

Before I got around to swapping chips. I seem to have developed a more serious problem.

Machine will not boot or make chime sound. Red light on CPU tray is illuminated and fans spin sightly.

removed the tray and a spring and standoff fell out.

So I removed the CPU heat sink. There is a smaller heat sink on smaller chip not processor that was loose (not attached to anything) just floating around.

Both of the standoffs are broken and nothing was holding it to the chip. It appears to have a temp sensor connected to smaller heat sink.

Is it possible it will not boot if that was loose?

I have removed everything from the machine and still nothing at startup.

I was running a non flashed GPU at the time. GTX 970 from EVGA with Nvidia net drivers.

I also was trying to start up in bootcamp when it quit.

Is there a way to tell if the failure is the CPU, the unsecured heat sink, tray board or if it is even on that board.

Know that is asking a lot with out having the machine to look at and diagnose.

But maybe you have run across this.

Thanks

Bob

Oct 23, 2015 12:17 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks Illaass, I reatached the Northbridge chip heatsink to no avail.

Still nothing, I held the power button in as I replugged it and the fans spin up high and I have a red light just behind the power button and on the CPU board.

Wish I could find a way to figure out if it is a chip or board problem.

Any ideas

Bob

Nov 28, 2015 7:21 PM in response to lorusso

I have the same machine and am considering the same upgrades. I can sympathize with the issues your having. Were you able to try another tray to see if that works and so you can isolate the problem? I am hoping this story has a better ending. Have you tried to posting to the facebook groups? They get a lot of responses quickly. The community groups on facebook are called: LowEndMac , MacProUpgrade.

2009 Processor Tray Swap from Single to Dual Processors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.