Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having Trouble Editing my Videos

I'm trying to edit my 1080p 30/60fps on my iMac but in the preview box the video skips frames. I notice that the time bar goes from 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and then it goes up to 2.0 seconds and so on. Then when I play something higher than that, it skips around a lot more.

I know my iMac is around 5 years old and I can't view newer resolution formats such as 4k.

But am I able to edit my videos in a lower resolution to where I can actually see what I'm doing instead of having it skip in the time frames? Then export it in 2-4k?

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 7:56 AM

7 replies

Oct 9, 2015 8:08 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I can for sure get that info when I get home from work. Sorry I forgot to include that!

I'm trying to edit a 4k video on my older iMac. But when I try to edit the 4k file in FCP, the video preview skips so much that I can't even view the video correctly let alone edit it.

So I was wondering if I could get my 4k video (or even one of my 1080p 60fps videos) and upload it to FCP. Have the preview in a lower resolution to where I can edit it. And then export with the same resolution. Is there a way that this can be done or do you know of any workarounds? I've been searching the internet for the past weeks but to no avail. 😟

Oct 9, 2015 8:12 AM in response to wardzach2007

Most computer drives aren't really fast enough for a lot of 4K media. On the system drive, even if it is fast, you'll fill it up very quickly. You need a fast external media drive at least USB3 and for 4K probably a rate.

To edit in low res in FCP you use proxy files, which you can generate on import or by transcoding the media after it's been imported. Do not compress the files externally, edit, and hope to be able to relink to the 4K media. It won't work.

Having Trouble Editing my Videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.