Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After an upgrade to El Capitan, iPhoto is out and no upgrade available on Appstore

After an upgrade to El Capitan, iPhoto is out and no upgrade available on Appstore

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 9:15 AM

12 replies

Oct 9, 2015 9:17 AM in response to Paulo of Marseille

You need to update to iPhoto 9.6.1. Try to update iPhoto by reinstalling from your Purchases History, not from the Updates page, as described in Barney's User Tip:

See this link: Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

Basically, move the incompatible iPhoto version from the Applications folder to the Trash (the application, not your iPhoto Library). Then sign into the App Store and open the Purchases tab. It should now show "Install" to the right of iPhoto.

For the past few days iPhoto had been gone completely from the App Store, but t Apple returned older purchases to the App Store. There may be maintenance work going on, so try again later, if the problem persists.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/29/older-software-returns-mac-app-store/

Oct 9, 2015 11:07 AM in response to léonie

I am trying to figure out how to get iPhoto back. I did the update on my macbook air(OS X yosemite 10.10.5) but not my 27" desktop. I did this so I could see photos and decided what to do. I feel like Apple just wants my money for the cloud storage and I'm ******! But how do I fix? I have a current back up of my iPhoto library on time capsule. I deleted app and tried to reinstall iPhoto from the app store but it says "temporarily unavailable" when I try on my macbook air. I think this is because I don't believe I ever updated iPhoto before I switched to Yosemite 10.10.5. The good part is that I have not updated my 27" iMac. However I'm afraid of doing something that will ruin my chances of saving this! In my iMac (iMac late 2013, OS X 10.9.5) it says "installed" next to my iPhoto app on purchased list. On my air it says "update" next to my iPhoto app.

What should I do? Any help greatly appreciated.

Oct 9, 2015 11:28 AM in response to chri5ti

On my air it says "update" next to my iPhoto app.

If the App Store is showing "Update" you still have iPhoto installed somewhere on your MacBook Air. Move iPhoto to the Trash from your Applications folder (don't empty the Trash) and disconnect any backup drives, where iPhoto could be installed. Spotlight must not see a copy of iPhoto installed on your Mac. Then reload the Purchases Tab of the App Store . It should now show "Install" instead of "update".

Click the "Install" button.

Oct 9, 2015 12:46 PM in response to chri5ti

On the iMac it should not be a problem after you upgrade to El Capitan. You can simply copy the iPhoto 9.6.1 application from your MacBook Air to the Applications folder on the iMac.

But don't forget to make a full backup - Time Machine or a bootable clone of the iMac, to be able to revert to the current system, just in case something should go wrong.

Jun 3, 2016 8:40 PM in response to Paulo of Marseille

I upgraded my iMac first to Snow Leopard 10.6.3, then to 10.6.8, then to El Capitan, because my new photo printer refused to communicate otherwise. Now I've lost iPhoto. I let it "upgrade" everything to "Photos" which seems ok for the actual photos. However, all the videos that were in iPhoto are proving to be impossible to work with. They will play from "Photos". But two days ago, I was able to pull them into iDVD and very quickly make a reasonable home movie of them, burned to DVD. Now when I open iDVD, the "photos" menu says I have none, whereas that used to be where a video from iPhoto would appear. They aren't in the "movies" menu either. Also, my old iDVD projects play strangely now. I never "purchased" iPhoto - it was just on the computer already - so I can't re-download it from the App store. And, if I go into "finder" and search for ".mov" files, it finds none, even though all the videos that were in iPhoto and are now in Photos are .mov files (and Photos does still say that is what they are). So where are these files, and how can they be pulled into iDVD easily? I'm tempted to just undo all these upgrades if possible (I backed everything up via external hard drive). What a mess. The computer is running more slowly now too. (and iMovie doesn't find any movie files any more, either).

Jun 3, 2016 10:06 PM in response to joeandmargery

You're moved up five iterations of the OS in one jump. You were using a out-of-date version of iPhoto, and iDVD has been discontinued for years now. Don't expect newer software to work with stuff that was end-of-lifed 6 years ago.

You can export your videos from Photos simply by selecting them and going

File -> Export -> Unmodified Original

Jun 4, 2016 12:06 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks. I wish it hadn't let me upgrade if it was going to cause problems. I backed everything up via Time Machine so I'm thinking of just going back if that's possible. The old stuff worked great. (and the photo printer issue wasn't worth this much trouble!) What replaces iDVD? All I want to do is dump videos into something, in an organized way (submenus with titles for each month or year), and burn a DVD. No official editing needed - iMovie is way more than is needed and creates enormous files.

Jun 6, 2016 9:44 AM in response to joeandmargery

iDVD still works with El Capitan. There are a couple of animated themes that won't but for the most part it will work with El Capitan.

There's also a hacked version of iMovie 6 HD that will work with El Capitan and integrate with iDVD as it used to. You can download it from this website: http://www.blip3.com/home.html. I've tried it and it works as advertised.

What's nice about that version of iMovie is that you can just drag the iMovie project file into the iDVD window to add it to the iDVD project.

User uploaded file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.