Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing photos from iPhoto to photos

I reorganized my photos in iPhoto so I could put them into Photos in the right order. There is NOTHING in my Photos album. How do I get my photos from iPhoto to Photos? I don't see iPhotos listed when trying to import into Photos.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Time capsule 1st generation

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 9:03 AM

8 replies

Oct 9, 2015 9:46 AM in response to SuzetteinNC

Sorry to sound stupid, but where do I find the iPhoto Library in Photos?

No problem, Suzette.

You select the iPhoto Library in the Finder, drag the library onto the Photos icon. Then have a cup of coffee and wait. It may take a long time.

Photos will open on the new, converted iPhoto Library. It will look very different from iPhoto. There are no longer events. All your events will appear in the Album section in a folder "IPhoto Events". See this help document: How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

Oct 9, 2015 10:56 AM in response to SuzetteinNC

Let it run for a while. It can really take a long time, depending on the size of the library. My current library with 40000 photos took three hours to migrate.

How large is your library?

If it really gets stuck - his there anything unusual about your iPhoto Library? Is it on an external drive, perhaps a NAS or with a file system that is not MacOS Extended (Journaled)?

Do you still have iPhoto installed, so you could repair your iPhoto Library before migrating it?

Oct 9, 2015 11:19 AM in response to SuzetteinNC

For only 8500 photos it is too long.

If you want to try again, I recommend to rebuild your iPhoto Library before you try again.

Make a backup copy of the iPhoto Library before you try that. Copy the library to an external drive, just in case.

Quit iPhoto if it is running, then launch it again while holding down the options key, until you are seeing the First Aid Panel.

User uploaded file

Start with "repair Permissions" and then Rebuild Database..

If you still cannot migrate the library to Photos, rebuilding with the free trial version of iPhoto Library Manager will usually help.

Download it here: http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

And see tis manual page:

Rebuilding a corrupted iPhoto library

importing photos from iPhoto to photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.