Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"News" app frozen. Won't refresh. Just shuts down and exits app. Have tried reset. No effect. Have also changed settings. No effect.

The "News" app that came with iOS 9 is frozen. Worked fine for a few days after installing iOS 9. Then after the first update it just froze. After opening it displays the same frozen page, then it shuts itself down and exits the app. I have done several resets. I have also changed settings in various configurations to no avail. Though I have plenty of other news sources I actually like the new News App. Any suggestions?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 1:30 PM

Very similar but different for me in that while the app disappears after a while or after I touch the screen, it still appears to be active when I inspect "fast-switcher".

My iPad is a MD3300II/A (64 G White 3rd Gen) running iOS 9.0.2.

When I launch NEWS it opens in "For You" mode and I see the content that was presented the very last time the app worked (not a white screen). While I can see content, the screen is frozen. When I try touching one of the buttons at the bottom (Favorites, Explore, etc.), the app disappears but remains active-- according to "Fast-Switcher.

I have cleared safari's cache. I have killed the app by swiping up in fast-switcher and I have done a reboot of my iPad. Nothing works. iOS will not allow me to delete/reinstall this app. Short of a wipe/reset/reinstall/restore from backup of the iPad, not exactly sure what to do.

This bug seems to be specific to the iPad, as the NEWS app continues to work, using the same settings (shared via iCloud) on my iPhone 5S (ME310LL/A).

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 1:30 PM in response to henrygx

Very similar but different for me in that while the app disappears after a while or after I touch the screen, it still appears to be active when I inspect "fast-switcher".

My iPad is a MD3300II/A (64 G White 3rd Gen) running iOS 9.0.2.

When I launch NEWS it opens in "For You" mode and I see the content that was presented the very last time the app worked (not a white screen). While I can see content, the screen is frozen. When I try touching one of the buttons at the bottom (Favorites, Explore, etc.), the app disappears but remains active-- according to "Fast-Switcher.

I have cleared safari's cache. I have killed the app by swiping up in fast-switcher and I have done a reboot of my iPad. Nothing works. iOS will not allow me to delete/reinstall this app. Short of a wipe/reset/reinstall/restore from backup of the iPad, not exactly sure what to do.

This bug seems to be specific to the iPad, as the NEWS app continues to work, using the same settings (shared via iCloud) on my iPhone 5S (ME310LL/A).

Nov 11, 2015 7:10 PM in response to DannyC

Good news. The fix is pretty simple. Go to your iCloud in the settings and turn off News. A popup windows appears and asks if you want to keep it in your App. Say no. Voila! Solved. Somehow it got hung up in the iCloud memory interchange. There's no need to save your news in iCloud anyway. If this doesn't clear it up, contact me again and I'll walk you thru it. I meant to post something about what I did to resolve it but forgot to do it.

"News" app frozen. Won't refresh. Just shuts down and exits app. Have tried reset. No effect. Have also changed settings. No effect.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.