Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 app backup with iTunes

OK, so it seems that "app thinning" in iOS 9 is causing some problems. When you backup your device with iTunes (backup on my mac), it no longer copies the apps, because the specific version (the "thinned" version) on your device may not work with other devices that you may have with that app loaded.

Which brings me to my problem. If I update apps from iTunes onto my mac, what version gets downloaded? Is it an "un-thinned" version, which means it can be "thinned" and loaded to each of my devices? or is it downloading various thinned versions for each device?

Given that I can't upload apps from my devices to my mac, can I even (still) download apps from my mac to my devices? How does thinning work in this case?

The real question is backup/restore of my devices. If I buy a new iPhone, and I want to restore my last backup to setup my new iPhone, I want the apps restored as well. I don't want to have to go back to iCloud and find all the apps and download them. How does this work with iTunes backups? or is Apple making iTunes backups obsolete too.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 10:03 AM

12 replies

Oct 18, 2015 8:46 PM in response to Rysz

Thanks for your answer.

What if:

I have the downloaded app named A in my iDevice. But never transfer to iTunes yet. One day, I have a new device and want it restored from old device's backup. After finished, NEW DEVICE has the app-A's data but never transfer the general software from iTunes. What should new device do for the app-A?

Thank you

Oct 19, 2015 6:26 AM in response to ccQpein

You just have to go back to the iTunes store and download the app again.

My problem/issue is that I have a very slow Internet connection and I pay by the bit, so I don't want to download apps multiple times. For those of you with unlimited broadband internet access, it does not matter much, and you get the thinned apps on each device, and I agree that it becomes pointless to have app copies on your mac.

However, there should be some consideration given to the poor slobs like me who have poor internet access. As much as we may like to think, ubiquitous unlimited high-speed broadband does not exist.

Oct 19, 2015 7:10 AM in response to ccQpein

I am not sure I understand what you mean here. I don't think that the download of the missing App will be automatic. You will have to go to the "App Store" application on your iDevice and find the apps you need. If you've download them before (either free or paid) with your Apple ID, then it will remember, and you can download them again for free.

If you are getting Apps for your iDevice from some other source (I'm not aware of any, but there may be some), I don't think I can help.

Oct 19, 2015 7:30 AM in response to turtle67

Apple's ecosystem is not designed for people with slow Internet connections. Fast, "I want it NOW wherever I am; why do I have to wait; I deserve this!" is the way it is. There may be a fraction of a percent of people who cannot get fast Internet but any business is going to do a marketing survey and figure out is just isn't worth spending money accommodating that fraction of a percent vs. investing that money in developing cooler features to get the 95% to buy more things, particularly since those net more profit. Not to be mean, if you are watching the pennies in your download costs then you probably aren't a big-bucks spender buying $1000+ on Apple gear every year. That's who I would be targeting. You must have noticed things heading the broadband direction for years now with software only being available by download, bloated web pages with online video etc. Frankly, downloading an iPhone app is nothing compared to multi-GB operating systems, a movie. etc.

Oct 19, 2015 9:31 AM in response to Limnos

Limnos -

I certainly understand the move towards broadband infrastructure. I've spent my career building IP routers and switches, and I understand the direction and demand for these products. I think it is great that we can get streaming video, books on demand and instant access to new OS releases. However, I do not NEED to do any of these things, or I can do them at my leisure or when I happen to be in a place that has a decent broadband connection (like my local library). What I object to is being forced into a situation where I am required to have a decent broadband connection all the time. If my phone dies (my old iPhone 5 just did), I can get a new iPhone shipped to my home. I should be able to take my last backup of my iPhone and restore it and have a useable phone, without having to use a broadband internet connection to download apps to my phone.

Oct 19, 2015 10:08 AM in response to turtle67

Why do we need backup of our apps to iTunes? We all know that the

internet never, never, ever goes down and the App Store is always, always

at all times available. Also, absolutely no one ever, ever, ever has to do

a complete restore of their iDevice ever!! Everyone, everywhere will

always, always have access to high speed internet!!

I am sorry, but all the excuses placed on this lost functionality due to "app thinning"

are lame at best. iTunes (and the App Store) could very well have been worked out in such

a way that all this could have been dealt with, without loss of functionality, and still be totally

transparent to the user.

What good is backing up your data if you can't get your apps back????

iOS 9 app backup with iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.