Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting old wifi address

When I got our new time capsule, the Apple Care guy said that we had to set up a different WiFi (Apple Network) address than we had been using for the old Time Machine. The problem is that the old WiFi address won't go away - it keeps showing up on my iPhone, so that even when I'm using the new WiFi address, a message will pop up asking me whether I want to be on the old (defunct) wifi address. I've tried "forget this network" in WiFi settings but that doesn't help. This is more an annoyance than a problem but if there is a way to banish the old WiFi address forever, I'd love to do it.

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 11:00 AM

3 replies

Oct 9, 2015 12:47 PM in response to bernesebernese

I have never gone the whole icloud thing.. but one issue people have is that apple will put back into your phone the old wireless if it still exists in anything linked to the cloud account.. You need to go around every device and remove all the old wireless names from everything..

OR

Don't do what the apple care guy says... in fact that is not what I would recommend..

Apple have an option in the airport utility to replace an existing older TC with a new one. So simply keep the same wireless name as you had before and pull the old TC out of the network when you are finished with the setup.

Oct 12, 2015 10:35 AM in response to LaPastenague

I may not be understanding you correctly, but what I've not been able to do is remove the old wi fi name - I've tried to find a way to do it but can't figure it out.

I go to Settings and then Wi-Fi.The new and active Wi-Fi address is listed at the top, then under "choose a network" the old one is listed. I clicked on the "i" with a circle around it on the right side of the old wi-fi address, and then I clicked on "forget this network" and disabled auto-join and auto-login. But then a a little while later, it pops up again in the middle of using the iPhone as a window with a message giving the old defunct network as a wi-fi option. It just won't go away. I realize this is mostly an annoyance and doesn't affect my use of my iPhone, but it is annoying!

I think the cow is out of the barn on your 2nd suggestion, since I've already added the new wi-fi address. I specifically asked the apple care guy if I could just rename the old one and he said I couldn't, I had to set a new one up. But this is good to know for next time.

I appreciate your help.

Oct 12, 2015 1:06 PM in response to bernesebernese

If you have removed the old wifi name from the phone.. it should not return .. but it will if you have other devices that still have the old name in them..

Is the iphone the only apple device you use?? If not then please list every single Apple product you have associated on icloud with your account.

Do you have a computer or ipad?? Do they have the old wifi name in them?? If so via icloud connection your computer or ipad will pass the old account details back to the phone.. it will do that no matter how many times you delete it.. because all your products are now linked. So please without any cloud connection.. delete the old wifi name from every single product you own.. including the old TC which may still have iCloud setup in it. Once you eliminate every possible source of the old wifi name.. it is possible it will stop.. but then again this is apple and it is doubtless stored in some configuration file which is hard to find, if not impossible.

If it really bothers you wipe the phone and then restore only data not settings. But you need to do it on everything with iCloud links.

Deleting old wifi address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.