Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Simplest way to unlock iPhone 5s on AT&T...

I am getting iPhone 6s Pluses as a replacement for our 5s iPhones from AT&T. I have requested (and should not have a problem getting) the unlock codes for the phones from AT&T. I want to sell the phones to Gazelle as unlocked for an extra $10 each. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of backing up my old iPhone 5s, erasing it, then restoring it in order to unlock the phone (which are the instructions from AT&T) since restoring all of the apps, music, and movies will take at least several hours and I have to do this on several phones. I would do the backup and erase no matter what before returning it to Gazelle to make sure it's clean of my data.

I know I need to backup the old iPhone 5s in order to restore it to the 6s Plus, but can I get around restoring the old backup to the 5s to unlock it and just activate it as new? I just want to save the time the restores take on each phone when I will also need to restore them to the 6s Plus phones. My 6s Pluses are being sent to me from AT&T directly, so can I just backup the old 5s phones (one at a time), erase it, and then activate it as new and have it prompt me for the unlock code (i.e. would it prompt me to unlock it without doing a restore with the old SIM in)? Then, I would go on AT&T website (www.att.com/activations) and activate the new 6s Plus SIM and phone and restore the 5s backup to it. Would that work?

I hope this is making sense. I would appreciate any help you can offer me. Thanks in advance! If worse comes to worse, I'll skip the unlock and just not get as much from Gazelle, and do the backup on each 5s, erase each 5s, and restore the backup on the new 6s Plus like I would if I wasn't wanting to try to weave unlocking into this process.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 2:06 PM

You don't get codes from AT&T to unlock an iPhone. The only reason you need to backup is for use with your new iPhone or if you were going to keep that phone. The unlock procedure will only work if you restore it as a NEW iPhone, not from your backup. So submit your unlock request, wait 24 hours after you get the unlock reply from AT&T and then restore the 5s as a new iPhone. After that follow these instructions:

What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 2:06 PM in response to Monsters, Inc.

You don't get codes from AT&T to unlock an iPhone. The only reason you need to backup is for use with your new iPhone or if you were going to keep that phone. The unlock procedure will only work if you restore it as a NEW iPhone, not from your backup. So submit your unlock request, wait 24 hours after you get the unlock reply from AT&T and then restore the 5s as a new iPhone. After that follow these instructions:

What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Oct 9, 2015 2:28 PM in response to deggie

Then why do the instructions from AT&T tell me to 1) Backup your iPhone, 2) When you have a backup, erase your iPhone, 3) Restore your iPhone from the backup you just made?

This has also gotten more confusing because originally AT&T said the new 6s Plus phones weren't shipping until a few weeks. They ended up shipping today. So, I may not getnotificatificationthat the phones are unlocked until after I have the new ones. I also just checked the status of the unlock and it is marked as completed, but I have not gotten the e-mail confirmation telling me that as of yet on any of the phones.

Should I move my phone lines to the new phonesfirsI (and restore the backups from the old 5s phones) and then do the unlocks or will that stop me from unlocking them? I'm really getting confused and then AT&T ships something weeks ahead of schedule!

Thanks for the help!

Oct 9, 2015 2:33 PM in response to Monsters, Inc.

Because they are wrong. Or misinterpreted.

Let's say you were unlocking your 5s and going to keep it. You would back it up, Restore your iPhone as a new phone, THEN restore it from your backup. Those instructions have been that way as long as I can remember.

You won't be able to do anything until you receive notice your phones have been unlocked. I got my notification in less than 24 hours so it should not take long to get yours. I would backup your iPhone 5s just before setting up your new 6s and set up the new phones from your backup. At that point I would not worry about backing up the 5s again.

Simplest way to unlock iPhone 5s on AT&T...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.