Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i get split screen on el capitan?

HOW DO I GET SPLIT SCREEN ON MACBOOK AIR?

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 10:31 AM

Hallo Bert,

a. SystemPreferences->MissionControl: set "Displays have separate Spaces".

b. Click and hold the green maximise button on app 1: it jumps to the half screen;

on the right there are now the other open windows: click the one you want and it jumps to the other half of the screen.

Lex

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 10:31 AM in response to bert321

Hallo Bert,

a. SystemPreferences->MissionControl: set "Displays have separate Spaces".

b. Click and hold the green maximise button on app 1: it jumps to the half screen;

on the right there are now the other open windows: click the one you want and it jumps to the other half of the screen.

Lex

Oct 9, 2015 11:06 AM in response to dwb

Hi dwb, Office 2011 does not run well at all, or has it already been solved? I am aware that MS is working on it (to make it run without issues, I mean, not the split windows).

Indeed, no, not all third party apps work in split-window. Luckily for me, Photoshop Lightroom6 does do it, as does NeoOffice, Photoshop Elements does not,

Busycal does, and so on. You can see the difference in the app itself: for the ones that do it the little green button has two little arrows in it, for the ones that don't instead there is a + in the little green button.

Lex

Oct 9, 2015 11:18 AM in response to Lexiepex

LexSchellings wrote:

You can see the difference in the app itself: for the ones that do it the little green button has two little arrows in it, for the ones that don't instead there is a + in the little green button.

Lex

Yeah - it only took me about two months to notice the green widget difference! The Outlook patch for 2011 reportedly went live last night but since I don’t use Outlook I don’t know if the reports are true or how well the patch has solved the problem. This summer there were issues with Office 2011 crashing when printing and print previewing. For a while there were reports of it crashing intermittently upon saving (OUCH!) but I thought most of those issues had been resolved. Office 2015 had some print crash issues too and intermittent instability but I’ve been using it and haven’t found it any more/less reliable with El Capitan than it was under Yosemite. Actually I quite like 2015 and I’d probably subscribe if my employer didn’t provide 365 for me.

how do i get split screen on el capitan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.