Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot sync locally-stored music to iPhone 6s

Ever since upgrading her iPhone, my wife has an issue with her locally-stored iTunes music library syncing to her iPhone.

She previously had an iPhone 6 and her iTunes library synced fine to her iPhone. She then subscribed to Apple Music and apart from some issues with her album art, everything seemed OK.

She upgraded her phone to an iPhone 6s. I backed up her old iPhone to iTunes and restored it onto her new phone. I synced all her locally-stored music across to the new phone (or I thought I did).

I then noticed a lot of her music in her iTunes library on the PC had been duplicated. So I deleted the duplicate copies of the songs in question. She still has the duplicates on her phone. Syncing does not seem to remove them for some reason. Also, on her phone, her library is totally disorganised. I always ensure the locally-stored library is very organised. However on her phone, not only does she have duplicate tracks, in addition to this some are greyed-out in the Music app (what do greyed-out tracks even mean?)

I just noticed yesterday that most of the songs on her phone are not available offline. Why would this happen when most of them are not from Apple Music? And she has never had iTunes Match. The majority were not from the iTunes Store either, they are all stored locally in 320 kbit/s MP3 or AAC, ripped from CD. I plugged her phone into iTunes on the PC yesterday. My intention was to go into her Music settings for her phone on iTunes and uncheck Sync Music, sync the phone, then recheck Sync Music and sync the phone again. But the Sync Music option was not there, it just said iCloud Music Library is enabled.

Just to be clear, we are dealing with an iPhone 6s 128GB and iTunes 12.3 (x64 version) on Windows 10. And she has approximately 83GB space available on the phone. The music would only take up about 10GB-15GB.

She has iCloud Music Library turned on on her iPhone and off in iTunes on the PC.

TL;DR: iTunes duplicated songs, I deleted them. Phone will not sync music. Locally-stored songs from iTunes (on PC) appearing on iPhone as not available offline and not stored on the phone itself despite syncing with PC. Some songs greyed out. What is going on??

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 11:48 AM

1 reply

Dec 20, 2017 12:40 AM in response to SerialKilla

I have an iPhone 6, not 6s (and I strongly believe this shouldn't be an issue, since both manufactured by the same company 🙂 ). I am having the same issue. I have some Indian songs, some Korean, Japanese, Chinese ... and some other nationalities songs that I got from all around. I wanted to be able to sync all the music to my iPhone, but never was be able to sync all the music. now I think about it, I realized one thing, I didn't have this issue before (S.J's era, tend to believe this is a coincidence though)

I wonder if this is some sort of Apple's "New" strategy some how ....

I am willing to see how long does this take Apple to address the issue.

whenever I try to sync a folder (album), it only sync a few songs not all of them.

Cannot sync locally-stored music to iPhone 6s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.