Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unsupported video format

HI,

Got an iPhone 6S Plus yesterday, coming over from a Note 4. Used the 'Move to iOS' app to transfer my photos, videos, sccounts, etc.. Took a while, but after 58gb of data, it moved over (Thank god I got a 128gb model haha).

Anyways, the videos I shot on my Note 4 were 4K, seeing how the iPhone 6S Plus has 4K video I thought it would be fine, but nope. The videos are on my phone, but when I try playing them, I get an error message stating:

Unsupported video format

This movie cannot be played because the video format is not supported.

Why is this?

Also I bought the 200GB iCloud option so I could back up all my photos and videos to iCloud and have them on both my iPhone and iPad, haven't backed it up yet due to this error, don't want to spend all that time backing up and I can't play the videos.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.0.2, 128GB EE

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2015 5:56 PM

Apple must have changed the coding.

I Have lots of 4K videos in MOV format from my drone. And had no problem viewing them

on my apple devices. After iOS 9 things changed. My iPhone 6s Plus AND iPad mini won't play 4K MOV

. My iPad Air 2 does. Until Apple reverts this we must convert our movies to MP4. Or

use the Waltr Desktop app , to transfer those mov into our "Videos" app in our devices .

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2015 5:56 PM in response to Tommy_Allan

Apple must have changed the coding.

I Have lots of 4K videos in MOV format from my drone. And had no problem viewing them

on my apple devices. After iOS 9 things changed. My iPhone 6s Plus AND iPad mini won't play 4K MOV

. My iPad Air 2 does. Until Apple reverts this we must convert our movies to MP4. Or

use the Waltr Desktop app , to transfer those mov into our "Videos" app in our devices .

Unsupported video format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.