Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Transfer to New Disk

I am trying to transfer my Time Machine to a new and larger disk. I have followed the instructions on preparing the new disk. I have tried the drag and drop of the current Time Machine to the new disk two times. Both times it stops after about 6 hours and says that there is one or more of the items cannot be accessed or there is a problem with the item.

The one thing I have noticed is that the new disk has permissions are system: read & write ; wheel: read & write ; everyone; read only. The current Time Machine disk has permissions me: read & write ; admin: read & write ; everyone: write. Is this the right track or should I dive in and give Disk Warrior a shot at it.

I think I could do a mergePartitions on the current disk to get the other part of it freed up. However, the current disk is about 5 years old and I think it should be replaced. I have plenty of other uses for a spare disk for non-critical functions, so I don't just want to start over on the new disk and keep the current one on the shelf.

Any help or direction appreciated. I didn't find anything about this particular problem on the great pondini's site.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 11:59 AM

4 replies

Oct 10, 2015 7:36 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the suggestion. I was also thinking about using `cp -r` or `ditto`. I think I have found the problem however. I rifled through the TimeMachine structure and found that there was an item from back in 2014 that was labelled as .inprogress. I got rid of that file and am running DiskWarrior again to make sure that everything can be found. I think I can then do the transfer via the Finder. I will post back here success of failure -- either to properly close out thread or ask for continued help.

Oct 11, 2015 10:04 AM in response to folksong

It turns out the .inprogress directory was not the problem or at least the whole problem. I am currently running a `lsof +D on the Backups.backupdb`. That is a recursive search to find any open files. If nothing turns up there, I think there is some corruption on the Time Machine volume. There would be no point in force recovering that to a new disk. It would be safer to just keep the Time Machine hard disk for a while before I re-purpose it and start with a new disk. I have other weekly back ups on DVD going back much farther than the Time Machine covered.

I recently needed to pull a financial record that was 7 years old. It took me less than 30 minutes to pull it from a back up DVD.

The old saying is true. There are two types of computer users. Those that have had hard disk problems and those that will.

Time Machine Transfer to New Disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.