Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lightscribe Drive & El Capitan

Installed El Capitan this morning and now my Mac Pro does not recognize my Lightscribe drives or software (unable to install or reinstall LSS software) Apple (anyone) help please

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2015 9:49 AM

I'm having the same issue, and downloaded (what is presumably) the latest driver. From what I've found, the latest version is 1.18.27.10, and was released in March 2013. Since HP discontinued support a while ago, I don't know if we will be able to use it on Mac OS now, unless a new driver is released.

There is an independent site that deals with Lightscribe https://lightscribesoftware.org, but so far, has no updated driver available...

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2015 9:49 AM in response to agapecsc

I'm having the same issue, and downloaded (what is presumably) the latest driver. From what I've found, the latest version is 1.18.27.10, and was released in March 2013. Since HP discontinued support a while ago, I don't know if we will be able to use it on Mac OS now, unless a new driver is released.

There is an independent site that deals with Lightscribe https://lightscribesoftware.org, but so far, has no updated driver available...

Oct 26, 2015 1:21 PM in response to Karl Kaufmann

I looks like that site's latest Mac software is compatible with os 10.5 - that's almost 8 years old. The site's director does not appear to know much about mac so contacting him may not get you the answers you need. In the interim I would look at the possibility of Wine for Mac to run the PC version and see if it's possible.

http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

Nov 12, 2015 11:47 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

From what I can read, I think we're all screwed. The software is very out of date, the guy on the Lightscribe site is very nice, but doesn't know much about the mac or this issue, and none of the installation packages work.

anyone want a good deal on a used but quality Light scribe drive ? :-)

dang, and i really liked using this thing too.

Dec 12, 2015 6:57 PM in response to agapecsc

Try a different method.

I had a Snow Leopard VirtualBox instance set up and thought it should be easy to just install the software and run it there.

Software installed, but it could not see the attached Lightscribe drive.

The disk was attached thru a firewire to thunderbolt connector and that turned out to be the problem.

Switching to a USB cable allowed burning a Lightscribe label.

Yes, I know it isn't El Capitan but my drive is no longer "Dead" for me.

Dec 20, 2015 3:14 PM in response to jdnta

Just to confirm, you've found that you can print to your Lightscribe-enabled drive, as long as it's being associated with a Parallels, VMware or Virtual Box virtual machine?

That would be awesome, I think. I know it appears the technology is dead/dying (especially seeing how hard it was to find blank media to purchase today!), but it sure would be nice to be able to keep using it for a few more years.

Thanks all!

John

Dec 21, 2015 5:43 AM in response to jdnta

Thanks for the reply John! Pretty likely that it'll work in another virtualization tool if it worked in VirtualBox, but I understand that you can't comment if you haven't tried other tools.

And yes, I was able to find some at both Amazon and Ebay. I'd stock up if you need 'em though, as it's apparent they're not going to be made much longer!

Good luck, and best of the season to you and yours!

John

Dec 21, 2015 9:26 AM in response to John I. Clark

John I. Clark wrote:

Just to confirm, you've found that you can print to your Lightscribe-enabled drive, as long as it's being associated with a Parallels, VMware or Virtual Box virtual machine?

Installing Snow Leopard Server into Parallels (to restore Rosetta capability) for DUMMIES:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/installing-snow-leopard-and-rosetta-into-par allels-7-in-lion.1365439/page-23#post-17285039

Jan 2, 2016 3:12 PM in response to agapecsc

Tha cause is the SIP (system integrity protection) enabled.

To disable follow these steps:

1. Boot to Recovery OS by restarting your machine and holding down the Command and R keys at startup.

2. Launch Terminal from the Utilities menu.

3. Enter the following command: csrutil disable

Reboot your computer.

Download newest Lightscribe Host software; expand the .tar file on the desktop; install Pacifist 3.5.7 version and install the lightscribe.pkg file with Pacifist.

Then you can, with the terminal command "csrutil enable", as action describe above, enable the SIP again.

Et voilà, the LACIE lightscribe software and Disc Cove 3, come back to recognize the Lightscribe drive.

Bye all.

Stefano from Tuscany

Jan 3, 2016 8:27 AM in response to Stinchibirinchi

Stefano,

Using the steps you outlined, I have been able to launch LightScribe labeler software in OS X El Capitan, Version 10.11.2.

I think the software needed to be reauthorized in order to use and System Integrity Protection did not allow a reinstall.

I only ever saw a failure to install the software message and didn't think about SIP being the reason.

I also was able to use the Firewire to Thunderbolt connection to my LaCie Drive to burn the full "Wooden" template and a second smaller

title on the same disk. I used Pacifist version 3.5.8 to re-install LightScribe Host Software 1.8.15.1 Mac.

Merci à vous,

John

Lightscribe Drive & El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.