Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Basic questions I am trying to figure out

I want to be able to share lots of photos and videos taken with my 6S+ I am currently using MS OneDrive and have it set to auto upload over cellular using my unlimited data, and then I can share a link to lots of photos and videos regardless of where I am.

1. Which iCloud option comes closest to what I just described? Photo stream? iCloud photos?

2. Will it auto upload over cellular?

3. Is there a built in way of just sending individual large videos via email by attaching them from iCloud somehow?

Thanks!

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 2:51 PM

1. Enable iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Sharing. The sharing option even allows you to specify who can view what and who can comment about the images.

2. Yes, but you can control in settings if you want uploads only when on Wi-Fi.

3. No, but you can sync the large videos to Photos, then let Photos upload it to iCloud and provide access to it on all your other devices.

Note: Photos and iCloud Photo Library behave very differently than what you used before. You should visit Apple website and read more about it. Mac-centric sites, such as iMore.com also have very good guides to the new functionality.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 2:51 PM in response to southwestform

1. Enable iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Sharing. The sharing option even allows you to specify who can view what and who can comment about the images.

2. Yes, but you can control in settings if you want uploads only when on Wi-Fi.

3. No, but you can sync the large videos to Photos, then let Photos upload it to iCloud and provide access to it on all your other devices.

Note: Photos and iCloud Photo Library behave very differently than what you used before. You should visit Apple website and read more about it. Mac-centric sites, such as iMore.com also have very good guides to the new functionality.

Oct 9, 2015 2:54 PM in response to Rysz

From what you just described in your response, it sounds very similar to what I am currently doing with MS OneDrive.

1. Can you please give me an idea of what you mean by it behaves "very differently" than what I used before?

2. Using iCloud Photos Library and iCloud Photo Sharing will allow me to share my media but will also synch it to my Mac? If so, does it show up in the Photos program on the Mac? If so, do I simply delete the media from my phone after it appears in Photos and is successfully copied to my Mac?

Thanks!

Oct 14, 2015 8:03 AM in response to southwestform

On OneDrive you're doing everything manually. This is all automated and specifically optimized for images.

1. One example: making edits on any of your devices or Macs will sync these changes to all other devices. That's also true of deleting photos.

2a. Once you enable iCloud Photo Library on all your devices, everything will be synced to everything and all images will be accessible from all your devices, including your comuter(s). On devices with limited storage, select to Optimize the local library and Photos will keep adjusting the library size to always leave you enough working space for other files. It's like magic!

2b. No. As per above, the library size will be adjusted dynamically (by reducing image resolution stored on the device) while still giving you access to every photo you have.

PLEASE read more about it.

Oct 14, 2015 8:10 AM in response to Rysz

I just read through lots of pages on imore, as you suggested and have a better understanding of all of this, though I am still confused.

I am not interested in storing lots and lots of photos on all of my different iOS devices. I use Lightroom on my Mac, and import all of my photos/videos into Lightroom, and any of the photos that I want to keep on my iOS devices I export from Lightroom and place into a shared folder in Photos on my Mac so I can view them on my iOS devices and other Macs, and AppleTV. I really only want to be able to store some shared albums of photos from my Macs and constantly remove new photos/videos taken from the 6S+

1. Based on what I described above, can I use iCloud Photo Sharing to get all of the photos and videos taken with my 6S+ onto my Mac and into Photos so I can drag them out and bring them into Lightroom and then simply delete them from iCloud? I want to have it synch the full resolution versions and not the optimized ones and I will use this workflow every couple of days.

Thanks for your help!

Basic questions I am trying to figure out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.