Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help With Your disk could not be partitioned

Hi all,

I have just bought a new 15' MPB retina for uni running El- Capitan .I'm trying to use boot camp to install windows. When i start up boot camp and press next and install i get the error

An error occurred while partitioning the disk Your disk could not be partitioned.

i don't seem to be able to find a away around this, i have ran first aid via disk utility and rebooted and still nothing.

how do i get round this? i really need to install windows for my college work.

Thanks!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 2:47 PM

First simple step is to run Disk Utility and select the outermost disk and click on Repair and then try BC Assistant again.

17 replies

Oct 14, 2015 10:21 PM in response to Loner T

I'm having the same problem, although I'm running an early 2013 MacBook Pro Retina 15" with El Capitan. I ran disk utility, tried it again and it failed. I also booted into single user mode and ran:

/sbin/diskutil -fy

but I'm still getting the "your disk could not be partitioned" error. I was using FileVault, but I've turned it off and have decrypted the disk.

Oct 15, 2015 5:13 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for replying, I actually got it to work finally. Had to reset the PRAM and immediately afterward boot into single user mode, then run /sbin/fsck -fy (resetting the PRAM or running fsck alone didn't work). After it rebooted, Boot Camp Assistant was able to partition the drive, but when the windows install disc booted it said the new partition wasn't in the correct format. Formatted that partition, and then Windows installed (eventually, it stalled on the "almost done" screen for a good while).

Oct 20, 2015 6:35 AM in response to mr_quetzalcoatl

I have tried mr_quetzalcoatl's solution without success.

I have a late 2013 15" retina running 10.11, with just it's SSD and a USB 3 key plugged in for the WININSTALL. I have tried:

- disk utility repair on both the inner and outer disk

- PRAM reset (option-cmd-p-r on reboot)

- /sbin/fsck -fy in single user mode (cmd-s on reboot)

- doing the above with mr_quetzalcoatl's order and immediacy

Regarding Loner T's question - I do have a Time Machine Backup - I'm not sure if he's suggesting that could be a problem, it is unplugged and I understand SSDs TRIM themselves...

Oct 20, 2015 1:20 PM in response to drJock

Can you post a new discussion and include the output of the following Terminal commands? It will avoid confusion with this discussion.

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

The "sudo" commands will prompt for your password, and it will not be echoed back. You may also see a warning about improper use of "sudo" and potential data loss due to "abuse" of the command.

Dec 2, 2015 2:35 PM in response to lukkylah

Can you post a new discussion and include the output of the following Terminal commands in that discussion?

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

The "sudo" commands will prompt for your password, and it will not be echoed back. You may also see a warning about improper use of "sudo" and potential data loss due to "abuse" of the command.

Help With Your disk could not be partitioned

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.