Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When do we get a StaffPad-like app for iPad?

So MS released StaffPad for the Surface. As a musician, I am way interested in this app, but nowhere near enough to purchase a Surface to get it. Is there some reason Apple can't create a similar product for music notation recognition?

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 4:51 AM

Jan 3 2017 here.

A couple of days ago I bought notion for ios (ipad pro + pencil) and I think it's quite good. I don't know how it compares with staffpad today, but for simple things notion is just fine. By the way it needs a lot of improvements in order to become a strong and proficient handwriting tool for a professional composer.
The good news is that notion's developers seems to work hard for that and they release updates quite often with bug fix and news. In Notion's forum community you can also write what in your opinion should be fixed or improved and developers seems to care...

I think that this is the future of composing, and in 2-3 years we will have good software for iOS as well

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2017 4:51 AM in response to David Checketts

Jan 3 2017 here.

A couple of days ago I bought notion for ios (ipad pro + pencil) and I think it's quite good. I don't know how it compares with staffpad today, but for simple things notion is just fine. By the way it needs a lot of improvements in order to become a strong and proficient handwriting tool for a professional composer.
The good news is that notion's developers seems to work hard for that and they release updates quite often with bug fix and news. In Notion's forum community you can also write what in your opinion should be fixed or improved and developers seems to care...

I think that this is the future of composing, and in 2-3 years we will have good software for iOS as well

Sep 2, 2017 9:47 PM in response to salvodp

Notion was mention with NEEDS IMPROVEMENT when this thread began, in 2015.

Now it is 2017 and apparently it still NEEDS IMPROVEMENT.

Meanwhile search for users of StaffPad and I think the jury is out:

If you are a serious musician, forget about Mac iOS - you need to go to surface.

Just my obvious conclusions from several searches and FAQs - I do not own a surface or other Microsoft device except an old Windows 7 PC, which I love and makes my life so much easier for most tasks compared with lates Mac OS and iOS devices, many of which I and my family own.

Oct 8, 2017 6:44 PM in response to David Checketts

The answer is very short: it's impossible to create so good and quasi professional app like StaffPad on IOS, even only for iPad Pro. Two reasons:

1. StaffPad needs not mobile OS like iOS or Android,

2. Apple not going to create a MacBook Pro with Pen&touch screen (like Wacom or MS surface series). I am an user Apple from 15 years, so I know what I'm saying.

I tested for Microsoft StaffPad on Surface Pro 4 - it's fantastic application and I am ready to pay for Surface Pro or other similar PC (HP x360 etc.) only for using StaffPad.

Notion for IOS or other apps for iOS are a toy and ridiculous tool for composer. StaffPad has really not bad sound library (excluding strings section).

More "diplomatic" answer you can find in FAQ section by David Hearn (main composer and creator of StaffPad).

Dec 17, 2015 8:44 AM in response to David Checketts

HI there!

I am musician too. What can I say you is that it's too painful to create music on iPad. I remember how I wrote track on my iPhone 5's small screen. It was really awfull experience. Because GarageBand uses some kind of strange compression and limiting to the whole sound.

Also you can try Figure by Propellerhead, great free app with only 3 channels but a great functionality.

Also there is FL studio mobile, but I don't advice it to you because it's too sluggish and complex for music making.

also there is an app called "Groove machine mobile" from Imageline.

Dec 17, 2015 8:48 AM in response to David Checketts

David Checketts wrote:

So MS released StaffPad for the Surface. As a musician, I am way interested in this app, but nowhere near enough to purchase a Surface to get it. Is there some reason Apple can't create a similar product for music notation recognition?

Contact the Staffpad developers and ask them about possibly releasing an iPad Pro & Apple Pencil version - http://www.staffpad.net/#about

Jan 28, 2016 10:18 PM in response to David Checketts

I've had Neuratron's Notate Me installed for some time now and have always considered it an abject waste of time; no matter how much I "trained" it, note entry using a finger or conventional stylus was correctly interpreted maybe 10% of the time. Very frustrating. This week I finally got my hands on an Apple Pencil for my iPad Pro and it's definitely living up to its superb reputation. As my first test I entered four bars into Notate Me with 100% accuracy. I'll add further comments when I've had a bit more time to work with it, but at this point I'm very optimistic. Odds are good I'll also install Notion, which is also supposed to support the Apple Pencil, for sake of comparison. Stay tuned...

Feb 27, 2016 9:17 PM in response to Todd Jonz

Yes, Feb 27, 2016: it's horrible. I don't even know where to begin. There is no delete key or gesture. The eraser tool is not a tool, it's a button that you use after using a select-with-handles tool.

The programmers don't understand the difference between a tool, a button, an icon or a menu and put them all next to each other in a palette.

Want to draw a marquis around a set of notes? Nope. Go into chord mode and want to add notes to a chord, nope. Half the time it will create new notes even if you are directly above or below the existing chord. Want to click and drag a note left or right? Nope only right or left.

The program gets confused a lot and you have to change tools, switch modes and then try again.

Absolutely horrible disaster.

When do we get a StaffPad-like app for iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.