Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing unknown software -- Youppes, Myppes, Olivernetko etc

I've had issues with similar search-engine installers this year and sought help here, but after following the Adware/Malware guides provided here and getting rid of those kinds of things, then doing everything I can to avoid the trap that caused them to download that time (months ago...), I now find the three named installers on my computer again. (I have not knowingly attempted to download ANY software since the problems earlier this year, where I tried to get "free" software on some site that I see now is specifically mentioned in the Adware removal guide.) As a rule I no longer click on any ad on any web page; I am confident I don't fall for social engineering attempts. I don't open links in email, even from a known person, without contacting that person to confirm they sent me something. I try to be safe, and still these applications have appeared on my computer.

Olivernetko wasn't on the machine two weeks ago, but I took screenshots showing the other two apps to remind me what I needed to get rid of; Olivernetko appeared last night after I had cleared cache, downloads, and cookies from Chrome and shut Chrome down, while I was not using my computer and in another room watching TV. A few hours later as I was preparing to go to bed, I went to shut the computer down and the installer dialog for Olivernetko was onscreen asking me to allow installation or cancel. I cancelled, but then it appeared it was trying to install the app, and I couldn't access my computer's main menu. I ended up "force quitting" the Olivernetko installer.

The specified 3 apps appear to only be the uninstallers right now. I find those uninstaller installers in the Applications folder/directory, in folders with the application names. However, after reviewing and starting to apply the Adware removal procedure, it does not appear the applications themselves have been installed. Going through the adware removal guide, I found the "launch agents" for each of them in my user Library.

From reading the Adware removal guide, it seems I should avoid installing those "uninstallers". Is it sufficient to simply drag the uninstaller folders to the trash and delete them? Same for the launch agents? There's no Genieo or InstallMac evidence anywhere. (InstallMac was the source of my woes earlier this year.) (Another thing: in spotlight search for "installer" three "installer" show up, but none has any application name, and highlighting them in spotlight simply shows a dialog with "install" as the only option. Nothing about WHAT it is those installers will install. No path to where those "installers" are located. Just a box with the installer icon and "double-click to install". What's THAT all about? No, I did not take the bait.)

Another possibly related issue is that something called "MacKeeper Helper" is trying to "respawn", every 10 seconds, according to Console. As far as I can tell, again following the above guides, MacKeeper is not installed. I've done searches in spotlight, and manual go-through-the-content-directory-of-every-folder on my hard drive, and MacKeeper is not found. Just a folder for MacKeeper Helper with "Noticeengine plugin" as the only contents, and the MacKeeper Helper launch agent.

I also found a folder for iLivid and it appears to be the application---I have a recollection that may be something I downloaded and installed 5 or 10 years ago thinking it was some kind of online video viewer or editor app. It's specifically mentioned in the Adware removal guide as something that should be removed. I have dragged it's Application folder to the trash. Will emptying the trash successfully delete that application?

I don't use Safari or Firefox as both those browsers have serious problems which renders them unusable (frequent crashes, hangs, and unexpected behaviors). Chrome is the only browser I've been able to use for about 4 months, but even it crashes if I'm online too long, often the Flash crashes.

I'm also concerned about backing up the computer because there seems to be something wrong with the computer. If there's something wrong, won't the problem be included in my backup?

Right now my main concern is deleting or removing all evidence of those search-engine installers and their launch agents, so I can try to troubleshoot the other browser problems I'm having. Any ideas?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), core duo

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 2:23 PM

3 replies

Oct 10, 2015 8:28 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Thanks, Allan. Sorry my description of the problem(s) was so long; as I pointed out above (5th paragraph) the only evidence of MacKeeper is the MacKeeper Helper "noticeengine plugin" and a launch agent for MacKeeper Helper. Is "MacKeeper" and "MacKeeper Helper" one and the same? (I'm assuming that the MacKeeper Helper is only a part of a bigger MacKeeper application....but I don't know. My assumption is that the two files found with that name are leftovers from a previous--unsuccessful--attempt to remove the application from my computer. This assumption is backed up, in my mind, by the Console's messages that "MacKeeper" is trying to "respawn" every 10 seconds, and exiting a few seconds later because the application can't be found. Here's what Console is 'saying':

User uploaded file)

If I just put the plugin and the launch agent in the trash and empty the trash, is that the same as "uninstalling"? There's no uninstaller for "MacKeeper" on my computer. (I've heard installers put parts of the application in different places, and that's why "uninstaller" applications exist, to clean out all those separate bits and pieces in 'one fell swoop'. I've located, manually, the only bits and pieces with "MacKeeper" in their name on my computer. So, if I delete those, is it done?)

Thanks again for the quick response.

Oct 10, 2015 8:48 AM in response to blick

Do not install MacKeeper (and how to uninstall it if you have):

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6221

It contains a major security flaw, recently noted:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/05/08/contentious.utility.ignored.apple.guideli nes.created.zero.day.exploit.128538/

There is currently a class-action against MacKeeper:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2927032/ads-for-mackeeper-refunds-will-run-on-fa cebook.html#tk.nl_mwbest

(Please note that references to the original developers, Zeobit, also now refer to Kromtech Alliance Corp, who acquired MacKeeper and PCKeeper from ZeoBit LLC in early 2013.)

Removing unknown software -- Youppes, Myppes, Olivernetko etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.