Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi Connection Inconsistencies

I have been having issues with ALL wireless networks my MacBook Pro connects to for some time now. I browse using Safari, but at random intervals, the browser will try to load a page/ file etc. and pause, as if it is having trouble connecting.

It will not show the standard page stating "You are not connected to the internet", and the Wi-Fi icon at the top of the screen will still show a strong "full bar" connection. Rather, the load bar will refuse to move and won't connect to the new page I'm trying to reach unless I disconnect from the Wi-Fi and reconnect.

Its not a massive issue, but it is rather a nuisance when I have to disconnect and reconnect, e.g. whilst watching a 30 minute YouTube video, multiple times to fully watch it.

I am on the latest apple software (OS X El Capitan) although this issue was still present prior to this update, and as stated it happens on my home Wi-Fi network as well as my university network. All other devices I have that are connected to these same networks, at the same time, have no connection issues, leading me to issue the issue is with this device and not the network.

Are there any suggestions as to what might be causing this? Any help on the issue would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 4:16 PM

2 replies

Oct 9, 2015 9:18 PM in response to LiamMc96

You don't say anything about your Network.

Is the router connected to a cable modem and your own router?

Can do a hard restart on both by pulling the power waiting a brief period and plugging back in.

I would not hesitate to call your ISP have them look at the modem from their end. These on line support people have very limited knowledge but they can reprovision the modem to see if it makes it temporarily better. Reprovision will give you an added speed boost for a limited amount of time. If all seems better this may be a clue you are heading in the right direction.

I have seen modems failing intermittently causing these systems.

Obviously you can reset the router but if you are full bars I highly doubt this is the issue.

Noise on line outside the house caused by old couplers /connections and the like, intermittent failing of the modem is best determined by having a tech sent out.

Wi-Fi Connection Inconsistencies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.