Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pop-ups, helpyay, and slow speed/freezes

I have a Mac OS X version 10.9.5. I also have a Netgear and the only thing we access is a smart TV for Netflix. No tablets, ipads, etc other than this desktop and the TV. No one but myself and my partner use this computer, and she only knows how to checkUser uploaded file mail and Facebook - nothing technical or repairs.

I was having problems today with certain screens freezing - i.e. I could pull up yahoo mail, and email thru my work, but could not access it.

I was told by IT assist. through work I had to download another browser, other than safari, to now access all of my work sites. I later found out this was not true, but attempted to do so. It would not download, being a Mac.

All of these pop-ups started happening. I was redirected to other pages (mostly to sell stuff).

I called what appeared to be Mac SupportUser uploaded file. I spoke with a "tech" who showed me the Firewall was off (strange). He transferred me to another dept., who wanted to charge me over $600. to create 3 levels of security. Then I discovered this was actually helpyay.com. I cancelled and hung up, but not before they accessed my computer. They led me to believe they were Mac official site until I started demanding answers.

Using the online help, I managed to turn my Firewall on, to include stealth. Because of work, I have to enable cookies. I have restarted, enabled firewall, everything I could think of. I cleared history, x out of pop-ups (leading to more pops).

I am still getting pop-ups, redirects, and if I click on something I am sent to another page entirely unrelated to sell me more stuff- usually cleaning up computerUser uploaded file, programs, etc.

I also keep getting a pop-up that demands I clean my mac. The little icon resembels a robot with a helmet, or the Michilan tire man with a helmet.

What to do now??? I HAVE to have this machine for work.

I AM SO p.o.ed at helpyay and all those as**** companies pretending to be official sites.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), with Netgear

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 3:09 PM

You could try to remove adware and check the computer manually for bad extensions

that may have been added to the web browsers while visiting untoward bad content

web sites that you visited.

You also could try & see if this product (free) could help you to remove adware:

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

The issue with adware and Safari (among other) browsers, can be looked into directly

by you to understand what likely is behind the problematic issue you've experienced.

Read through the entire article to see what the total picture is about what they're saying:

• Stop pop-up ads and adware in Safari - Apple Support

There are manual removal instructions and methods specified in this Support article;

or if you also want to try the adware removal from malwarebytes, former adware medic

the first link does go there. The item is free to non-commercial users.

PS: since you may have let others, outsiders, access your computer and your credit

you may want to check your credit card company for how to proceed if there are

charges from the places you visited in regard to removal methods & their fees; you

also should change the password they may have used in conjunction with your Mac.

To change your AppleID password is one of the places to start, among others...

You are the first-line of defense in guarding your computer from outside access.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 3:09 PM in response to truecrimeauthor

You could try to remove adware and check the computer manually for bad extensions

that may have been added to the web browsers while visiting untoward bad content

web sites that you visited.

You also could try & see if this product (free) could help you to remove adware:

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

The issue with adware and Safari (among other) browsers, can be looked into directly

by you to understand what likely is behind the problematic issue you've experienced.

Read through the entire article to see what the total picture is about what they're saying:

• Stop pop-up ads and adware in Safari - Apple Support

There are manual removal instructions and methods specified in this Support article;

or if you also want to try the adware removal from malwarebytes, former adware medic

the first link does go there. The item is free to non-commercial users.

PS: since you may have let others, outsiders, access your computer and your credit

you may want to check your credit card company for how to proceed if there are

charges from the places you visited in regard to removal methods & their fees; you

also should change the password they may have used in conjunction with your Mac.

To change your AppleID password is one of the places to start, among others...

You are the first-line of defense in guarding your computer from outside access.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Oct 9, 2015 9:10 PM in response to truecrimeauthor

Don't use any kind of "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" product on a Mac. There is never a need for it, and relying on it for protection makes you more vulnerable to attack, not less.

You may have installed the "Flashmall" trojan. Take the steps below to disable it.

Malware is always changing to get around the defenses against it. This procedure works as of now, as far as I know. It may not work in the future. Anyone finding this comment a few days or more after it was posted should look for a more recent discussion, or start a new one.

Back up all data before continuing.

1. Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return. A folder named "LaunchAgents" will open.

2. Inside the folder you just opened, there may be files with a name beginning in any of the following ways:

com.crossrider

com.extensions

com.flashmall

com.Installer.completer

com.webhelper

com.webtools

flashmall

UpdateDownloader

WebSocketServerApp

Move any such files to the Trash and close the Finder window. Log out or restart the computer. The trojan will now be inactive, but there are a few more components of it that should be cleaned up.

3. Do as in Step 1 with this line:

~/Library/Application Support

A folder named "Application Support" will open. Inside it there may be subfolders with any of these names:

IM.Installer

webHelperApp

WebTools

If so, move those subfolders—not the "Application Support" folder—to the Trash.

4. Open this folder in the same way as above:

~/Library/ScriptingAdditions

and remove an item named

BrowserHelper.osax

if present.

5. Open this folder:

~/Library

Look for subfolders with either of these names:

flashmall

WebTools

and move them to the Trash, if present. Don't remove the subfolder named "WebKit".

6. Open the Applications folder. Move to the Trash items with any of these names:

Flashmall

mediaDownloader

WebTools

Important: You can't delete applications by trying to drag them from the Dock or the LaunchPad. Open the Applications folder in the Finder.

7. Open this folder in the same way as above:

~/Applications

This is not the usual Applications folder, but a different one inside your home folder. Look for an application with a name like this:

flashmall

and move it to the Trash, if present. Also remove anything else in that folder that you don't recognize.

Empty the Trash.

8. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Uninstall all extensions you don't know you need, including one called "GoldenBoy," if it's present. If in doubt, remove all of them. None is required for normal operation. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those.

pop-ups, helpyay, and slow speed/freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.