Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photolibrary download question

Should I choose download originals or optimize my Mac? If I started one is there a way to stop and change?

Thanks,

Don

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.2

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 2:35 PM

On your Mac you should keep full-resolution images, even if you need to get an external drive to fit the library. In fact you should also keep a separate backup.

Don't look at iCloud as a backup service. It's really a syncing service.

Yes, you can switch at any time. If you're switching from optimized to original resolution, it might take a while for all the photos to download.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 2:35 PM in response to Zimmer1956

On your Mac you should keep full-resolution images, even if you need to get an external drive to fit the library. In fact you should also keep a separate backup.

Don't look at iCloud as a backup service. It's really a syncing service.

Yes, you can switch at any time. If you're switching from optimized to original resolution, it might take a while for all the photos to download.

Oct 10, 2015 12:56 PM in response to Zimmer1956

With iCloud Photo Library enabled everywhere, every single image or video you have should be displayed everywhere.

If you're not seeing that, it might be that the library is still uploading and syncing. If you inadvertently deleted some images, you'll have to restore your library from a backup, or do a fresh migration from your, now older, iPhoto Library.

Oct 24, 2015 9:40 AM in response to Rysz

iCloud Photo library been downloading for days. it shows downloading 9 items but a note under iCloud Photo Library says the ICloud Photo Library will be deleted in 15 days. Photos and videos are no longer uploading. You can cancel this deletion from iCloud System Preference.

i think the download is still downloading since 9 items are but the note says differently.

What steps to I have to take now if downloading is complete?

Thanks,

Don

iCloud Photolibrary download question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.