Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What settings should I change on my Macbook Pro if I have limited data?

Because of my online teaching schedule and personal travel schedule, I recently picked up a Verizion Jetpack hotspot. I get 5 gigs a month, but want to make sure I don't exceed that. Theoretically, that shouldn't be a problem - most of the time I have high speed internet everywhere I go, but there are a number of places I don't.

I'm torn between just manually switching things on and off via settings and creating a new profile that has everything that might otherwise eat up bandwidth turned off and am looking for pros and cons of either.

If I wanted to turn things off manually, what should I turn off (and remember to turn back on afterwards) when using the hotspot as my primary data connection?

If I create a profile, what settings do I want to leave off in the profile to help limit my data use? I will need to be able to use my browser in the profile, but don't need notifications, software updates, etc. I'd prefer that the only data being used when I had the hotspot on is browser data.

Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance for any tips or ideas. I tried to use my google-fu, but it was poor on this topic.

MBP, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 3:43 PM

2 replies

Oct 9, 2015 9:02 PM in response to BiggKhalil

BiggKhalil wrote:

I get 5 gigs a month, but want to make sure I don't exceed that. Theoretically, that shouldn't be a problem - most of the time I have high speed internet everywhere I go, but there are a number of places I don't.

Why fix it if it ain't broke.

I wouldn't do anything different unless you see yourself constantly running into a problem.

Really just being mindful of high band width operations like streaming videos and movies.

Verizon has an app that can tell you your exact usage, set your preference there for alerts.

What settings should I change on my Macbook Pro if I have limited data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.