Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AIFF music files - what is the max limit (bit rate, etc.)?

I recently purchased the FLAC version of an album and converted the files to AIFF using Max (sbooth.org). For the first time ever I am unable to copy these files to my iPod Classic (160Gb). I have never had this issue before, all AIFF files I have ever created have been able to be played and copied to my iPod.

bit rate: 4608 kbps

Sample size: 24 bit

Sample rate: 96 kHz

Have I exceeded the bit rate for this device? I cannot find the specification showing the max for it. Is there any other utility that would be more compatible - the files play perfectly in iTunes on both the Mac and Windows PC's I own.

Thanks!

Edit: I realize I can convert the files to AAC but I am looking for the extra fidelity of AIFF files on the output devices I use.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 3:56 PM

I suspect the problem is 24-bit sampling instead of 16-bit. Apple Lossless should give the best size & maximum quality that can be supported by the classic.

tt2

3 replies

Dec 10, 2015 4:18 PM in response to turingtest2

Actually, after extensive testing - 24-bit files are OK. It is the sample rate that was breaking things. Normal iTunes files are 44.100 kHz but you can go up to 48.000 kHz without issue when downloading to an iPod. Any higher sample rates will fail during the sync.

Most of my FLAC files are 96.000 kHz (or higher) and that was killing the sync. Finding a file conversion utility that would allow me to manage the sample rate was a pain as most of the automatic apps keep the sample rate intact (Max and XLD for instance). I had to use Audacity and manually set the sample rate to 48.000 on each individual file in order to convert them.

The funny thing is, iTunes will play these higher sample rates w/o issue. And trying to convert the files to AIFF in the iTunes app maintains the sample rate of the original. Seems odd but now that i know what to do, I am happy with the higher-res music files on my iPod 🙂

Hopefully, someday Apple will allow their devices to play hi-res music files. Until then, I will convert them from FLAC to AIFF or ALAC and monkey with the sample rate to get them on to my iPods.

Cheers!

AIFF music files - what is the max limit (bit rate, etc.)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.