Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making DVD with 2015 Macbook

So when i originally purchased the 2015 macbook I was okay with there being no DVD drive because i figured I would not need it. Well, I was wrong. My mother asked me to create a video for her today so I did so but I ran into a problem when she asked me to put it on a DVD. How would I go about getting my movie from FCPX to a DVD? Can I convert it and use a USB to transfer it to her PC then burn it to a disk? I feel like i have to get it on her computer at some point to actually burn it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 3:16 PM

14 replies

Oct 9, 2015 3:42 PM in response to HStone33

I guess you have two options.

1) Purchase a burner for your Mac and do everything in your Mac. An expenditure, to be sure, but not big $$.

2) export a video format that is compatible with Windows DVD App and make the DVD in her PC. I would imagine that if you're using FCP X, exporting am mp4

version of your movie would work. But nothing is ever guaranteed inter platform.

Good luck.

Russ

Oct 9, 2015 6:24 PM in response to HStone33

As it happens I make lots of DVDs - amateur theater, family memories videos, etc.

FWIW, my workflow:

Create video on 27" 2012 iMac, export .mov via share function

Create .img file with iDVD on iMac.

Send .img to old Powemac G5 which has an exceptionally fast and reliable internal disk burner.

Burn DVDs on that with disk utility.

Also, in parallel, send .img to 2015 MBP with connected external disk Apple disk burner and burn DVDs with disk utility. (Slower than G5.)

As DVDs are finished print the cover graphics with Epson 1400.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Oct 10, 2015 3:27 AM in response to stumbleone

stumbleone wrote:

Indeed that functionality has been deleted from Disk Utility in El Capitan - apparently it has been moved to Finder.

Burning a disk image .img file with Finder now creates a standard playable DVD as Disk Utility did before.

The burn command now appears if a disk burner is connected and a disk image is selected with a right click, not otherwise.

Thanks for that information! I knew Disk Utility had lost the burn functionality, but this is actually a better workflow.

Oct 10, 2015 8:24 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

El Capitan 10.11 Finder burns the contents of the .img file to disk to produce a playable DVD.

Out of curiosity i booted my iMac back into Yosemite 10.10.5 from an earlier backup and performed a Finder burn on an .img file. I was wondering if the Finder burn function hadn't been updated some time previously in one of the 10.10 updates. However, as expected, the 10.10.5 Finder just put the .img file on the disk and did not produce a playable DVD.

A couple of observations -

First, all my testing has been done using an external Apple USB Superdrive burner. I no longer have a computer with an internal disk burner, so that remains unverified. Or for that matter, a third-party external drive. However, I would certainly expect that these would perform no differently.

Then, suppose - for whatever reason - one wants to just copy the .img file to a DVD. How to go about that now with El Capitan, without booting into a previous OS version?

Oct 10, 2015 9:12 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I suppose it's a better workflow. The one test I made, the anamorphic flag was ignored so the image was "squished". That may be DVD Player - related. But opening the img in DVD Player (in 10.11) it played back correctly. When playing the physical DVD in an earlier OS X version. the image was displayed correctly.

Suppose it's a reflection on my adaptability but I have been such a frequent user of DU over the years that I find changes to it to be disconcerting.

Russ

Making DVD with 2015 Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.