Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite: Save Pages document to specific folder

Just bought a new Mac Yosemite OSX 10.10.5 after having a Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (5 years old) where I had Word for Mac. All my text documents are in Word. I'm trying to go with Pages to see if it would work out, but when I go to save changes in a text document, it only lists "Documents" as a category, and when I go to Finder, it is taken out of the folder or category it was in on my other Mac and just listed alphabetically. For instance, when I made changes in my Budget_2015, a file under the category "Finances" it ended up in the B's second and I had to manually move it back down. Also, I can't find a "Save As." I'm sure there's a way, but I just don't know it and would appreciate your help. Also, I can't remove my old 10.6.8 number under "product" where I go to write this question. A steep learning curve but I love this computer! Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 9:51 AM

The very first Pages save that you do, verify that the button adjacent to the filename to be saved has its triangle symbol pointing upwards. This gives you far more organizational capability with a Favorites sidebar, new folder creation, and improved navigation to where you want your document saved. A file menu Save As… operation requires that you press the option key when accessing the File menu.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2015 9:51 AM in response to Dr. Ann

The very first Pages save that you do, verify that the button adjacent to the filename to be saved has its triangle symbol pointing upwards. This gives you far more organizational capability with a Favorites sidebar, new folder creation, and improved navigation to where you want your document saved. A file menu Save As… operation requires that you press the option key when accessing the File menu.

Oct 11, 2015 9:48 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Sorry, Peter, I obviously know the difference between "option key" and "options." I was confusing you with VikingOSX who said, in the same stream, "A file menu Save As…operation requires that you press the option key when accessing the File." This was extremely helpful information, counterintuitive, for sure.

As for the name part, I thought you were still talking about the Pages file. Now I understand. Thanks for your response.

Oct 11, 2015 9:52 PM in response to VikingOSX

I heard what you said, VIKING OSX, but on mine there is no triangle. Just an arrow pointing downward. The only thing that happens when I click it is that a short window appears where I can at least see all my documents and save it to a particular folder, which is really all I wanted to know anyway, but it seems you are describing something different. Maybe I have a different version. My computer is brand new, so it would the latest edition of Pages. If you have an answer I'd really appreciate it and I will be sure to check the This Helped me or Solved my Question boxes. I'm pretty new to this so I don't know the ropes. Thanks for your help!

Oct 12, 2015 11:57 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks, Viking! I don't know whether to be relieved (that I was not failing to see something) or disappointed (that there's no secret triangle to be found).

The odd thing about Apple's recent penchant for making features "discoverable" instead of obvious is that, who knows, there might be a secret control that unlocks untold possibilities. I have to keep reminding myself to try right-clicking on everything, and Option-clicking, and now on newer devices (iPhone 6S, new MacBook, Apple Watch) there's the 3D touch option. Who knows what this thing might do, given a chance? This is probably amusing but one doesn't always regard it that way.

Oct 12, 2015 2:43 PM in response to richard grant

Reminds me of Peter Cook's joke about how the only time you can't see the invisible man is when he takes off all his clothes, making him an invisible nudist.

Since we can't see him, heaven knows how many invisible nudists there are on the TV. For all we know there may be thousands.

Apple's OSX design team obviously researched this and found an ingenious way to have thousands of features that nobody can discover leading to the possibility that there may in fact be millions of additional features that we also can not discover, and that the competition can not steal. So future proofing OSX as the leading OS of all time!

Peter

Oct 12, 2015 8:41 PM in response to VikingOSX

LOL. Actually, I had heard it was going to be EXTINCT, since they and we seem to be running out of animals.

Thanks, guys. But I still don't know how to make the arrow turn UP. Or has that feature disappeared as well? The end result is I got a good deal on Office for Mac, 2011 version, as I'm in the middle of needing to create a lot of documents for work and I lost so much time in the week that my phone and computer crashed that I am really behind. Now, everything is as it was, and it was worth the $99!

Yosemite: Save Pages document to specific folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.