Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Share setup on new iPad with iOS 9. Which account do I use to login to App and iTunes Stores?

I have a 10 year old son with a new iPad and I want to know how to correctly set it up for Family Sharing. He has his own Apple ID now, so I use that to log him into iCloud...but what Apple ID do I use for App and iTunes Stores (My account or his?)

Also, I have songs and movies that I don't want him to be able to see. I am assuming those items will not show up if I set up Restrictions on the iPad? Please advise. THANKS!

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 3:15 PM

1 reply

Oct 10, 2015 12:23 AM in response to jwpm1968

All purchases that are done will be tied to the account that bought them, so you should use his account for Settings > App And iTunes Stores.

If you don't want to share any of your purchases then I think that you can turn off sharing for your account : Share purchased content with Family Sharing - Apple Support

Or, and depending upon the content, you can use Settings > General > Restrictions on his iPad to restrict content based on their age ratings (films and TV shows) and if they contain explicit content (music).

You can also hide individual items from the cloud so that they don't show in the Purchased sections for redownloading (though that will also hide them from you, not just your son's account) : Hide and unhide purchases in iTunes or iBooks on your Mac or PC - Apple Support

Family Share setup on new iPad with iOS 9. Which account do I use to login to App and iTunes Stores?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.