Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens when you format the main internal hard drive to MS-DOS?

Just totally out of the blue question, although I'd like to install my OS again (probably not in MS-DOS format, would that be possible though?). It feels like I own the machine more when I set ALL of the stuff myself. Would that force me to download OS X El Capitan from some hidden partition or something?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 4:18 PM

To install OS X, the disk HAS to be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

6 replies

Oct 9, 2015 4:44 PM in response to Jakub5

If you format the disk or volume in MS-DOS, the volume will be usable only by Windows. Even modern Windows no longer default to that format.

I f you are interested in installing Windows on your Mac drive, Apple provides a utility called Boot Camp (it's in your Applications folder). BC will format and prepare a partition compatible with Windows and even help with Windows installation.

I admire your desire to understand what's going on on your computer, but your effort in attempting to install manually, are quite misgided. Modern operating systems are way too complicated for manual mocking around. And too dangerous to do so.

You have a Mac. It's quite good at taking care of itself without you investing your time in maintaining it.

What happens when you format the main internal hard drive to MS-DOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.