Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

filesharing error -36

I have some macs in a local network with a server running OS X Server, latest built.

I upgraded two of them to El Capitan and these two machines do not access the filesharing on the server properly anymore.

One can see, delete, but when one copies onto the server you get an error -36 Finder could not complete operation, some files could not be written.

The problem arises, because El Capitan "seems" to use smb as filesharing protocol. I see this in the filesharing tab in the Server app.

The files actually ARE copied.. just the Finder on the client gives an error message. In Console it says

09/10/15 18:57:40,000 kernel[0]: smb_ntstatus_error_to_errno: Couldn't map ntstatus (0xc000010c) to errno returning EIO

The older macs use afp, which does not show any problems.

I can work...loggin onto the server with cmd-k and choosing afp://IPADDRESS.. but it is not very elegant. More elegant would be to make SMB work properly.

Any ideas?

Yours

Pierre

Mac mini Server (Mid 2010), OS X Server

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply
4 replies

Oct 11, 2015 9:17 AM in response to Linc Davis

LIns

woow..what a good reply...I am out of the office right now but will check on monday and If your hints resolve the issue...which seems probable I will put the question as "solved".

what strikes me funny is that El capitan clints use smb and not afp AND that I have issues with that in an all mac Osx server setup... do you think upgrading the server to el capitan would help?

I am really a bit frustratet with the Server software... So many small things that just do not work out of the box as advertised....

YOurs

PIerre

Oct 13, 2015 1:39 PM in response to Linc Davis

Lins,

I tried your suggestions but in my setup with OSX10.10.5 on the server machine with SERVER 5.0.4 and the clients with 10.11 El Capitan I cannot make the filesharing to work "well". The files write to the server but I get the -36 Error. Some part of the file cannot be written....

A Windows machine can write and read, e 10.10 Yosemite can write and read (probably because they use AFP by default) and if I use AFP i can write and read.

I tried disabling named streams and I tried enabling them.. to avail.

It might have another issue. For once I also cannot make the "services available" make work. It says "no services available" although I host 4 sites, run VPN and Profile Manager and Filesharing... and they are all up and running.

Any other suggestions?

Yours

Pierre

Oct 14, 2015 2:36 PM in response to Pierre Froelicher1

OK.. In the end I could not make 10.11 El Capitan machines make speak with Server OS X v5.04 out of the box.

Line Davis' showed me the right direction but not actually the solution.

AFP works.. SMB1 works.. but El capitan chooses SMB.. that does NOT work.

So.. to make the client machines always use SMB1 I used this terminal command and now everything seems to work.

echo "[default]" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf; echo "smb_neg=smb1_only" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf

Yours

Pierre

ps.. what a hassle...

filesharing error -36

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.