Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5S won't charge after 9.0.2 update

Hello,

Just updated my wife's 5S to 9.0.2, and it won't charge anymore. Coincidence? The battery was at 40% and is gradually shrinking. It makes the "Pom!" sound when I connect the Lightning cable, and shows the lightning icon like it's charging, however the battery percentage doesn't go up.

Here are the things I've already tried. The phone still wouldn't charge after each of these:

- Cleaning out lint (there was a tiny bit, not much, and it made no difference).

- Pushing the cable firmly into the phone in an attempt to improve the connection.

- Plugging into a different charger (Apple plug and Apple cable, works fine on my 5S and iPad Air 2 but doesn't work with my wife's 5S).

- Turning the phone off and back on via the power button.

- Holding home and power buttons to do a hard reboot.

- Holding home and power to put it into device recovery mode, and updating with iOS 9.2 again from iTunes.

Any possibilities I missed?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 5:20 PM

8 replies

Oct 10, 2015 7:08 PM in response to andrewfromdayton

More information:

- The repair shop tried a new charging port and a new battery, and neither made any difference.

- My wife's 5S phone upgrade to 9.0.2 was performed from 8.x, just in case that big jump makes a difference. On my 5S and iPad Air 2 that aren't having any problems, they first upgraded from 8.x to 9.0 (then possibly 9.0.1) then 9.0.2, and are doing fine.

The battery is now down to 8% and it is a very sad little iPhone.

Oct 11, 2015 8:51 AM in response to andrewfromdayton

It happened the same to me, I plugged it in and it said that it was charging and the battery percentage wasn't going up, it bad happend something similar two weeks ago when I updated to iOS 9 but I got it to charge by changing the cable but now I the battery is drained and I plugged it and shows the battery icon with the 3 red strips bjt it doesnt go after that and I had it conected for 8 hours and nothing. I also connected it to my computer but it doesn't recognize it. I am taking it today to get it checked out and I hope they give me good news because my phones has a little more than a year and I paid like 800 dlls.

Oct 13, 2015 11:51 AM in response to andrewfromdayton

Latest update:

I am sending the non-charging 5S to a microsoldering repair shop to replace the U2 IC chip. From googling, it seems that this is likely the issue. The symptom is that it acts like it's charging, but the percent never goes up. I'm using iPad Rehab in Mendon, NY, and it should cost around $110 including shipping both ways. I'll post again after I learn whether it was successful.

As I understand it, the most common cause of this particular chip going bad is poorly regulated charging voltage, such as from a car charger or a poor quality wall charger. So another thing I did is go through the house and throw out the cheap Chinese chargers. I am also going to stop using car chargers and instead use batteries when traveling.

5S won't charge after 9.0.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.