Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move files from iCloud to Computer

I know that I can open a Numbers file, for example, held in iCloud and duplicate it, then move a copy to my computer — or, presumably, just move it without leaving a copy in iCloud. But I have a largish number of files to move, some of them in folders. Is there any way of moving a selection of files or folders containing files, without doing it one by one, and even without opening them? It appears to me that drag and drop is not possible. Is that correct?

Please forgive me if I'm missing something all too obvious and simple.

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 12:05 AM

If the files are in iCloud Drive and you have Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive turned on in your Mac, then the files are already on your computer. iCloud Drive keeps a local copy on your Mac and there is no option to avoid that. If you want a second copy you can do that the same way as you would for any other files on your Mac.

If you go to Finder and on the menu named Finder open Preferences and then click Sidebar at the top of the Preferences window and then put a checkmark in front of iCloud Drive you will then easily be able to open iCloud Drive similar to other folders on your Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2015 12:05 AM in response to peterwhi

If the files are in iCloud Drive and you have Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive turned on in your Mac, then the files are already on your computer. iCloud Drive keeps a local copy on your Mac and there is no option to avoid that. If you want a second copy you can do that the same way as you would for any other files on your Mac.

If you go to Finder and on the menu named Finder open Preferences and then click Sidebar at the top of the Preferences window and then put a checkmark in front of iCloud Drive you will then easily be able to open iCloud Drive similar to other folders on your Mac.

How to move files from iCloud to Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.