Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to send SMS (text message) instead iMessage to iPhone (multiple device owner)?

My daughter has two iOS devices - an iphone-5C and an iPad. When she leaves home network (Wi-Fi) she has no data available and her iPad stays online at home. All messages I send to her are delivered only to her iPAD and not to her iPhone. How do I set two iDevices or my contact list to be able without awkward tap and hold every single message to 'Send As Text Message' as most of the time the iMessage option is gone so fast it gives me no choice anymore. iPhone settings doesn't allow me to opt out phone number from iMessage on her iPhone and I have no luck find any other solution than buy an Android to send her SMS without ten blue bubble rewrites to be quick enough to manually change to 'Send As Text Message' option.

Please, I need help. It is very frustrating to have no easy option when sending a message to decide which way I want to send the message.

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 6:00 PM

4 replies

Oct 9, 2015 6:48 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Have you ever asked 'smart' teenager to do something on regular bases? Like, Turn off the light when you're not in your closet anymore? Good luck, my friend! However it still let the message hang as a iMessage even the iPad is turned off. It keeps the option to 'Send As Text Message', though. What I'm looking for is an option before I send the message. Like, Tap-and-Hold option on the text input window so I can choose the way of sending, before I hit the button SEND or start to write the message.

Oct 10, 2015 11:54 PM in response to sharpest

@sharpest: Nope it doesn't work this way even it would make total sense. The phone number is registered with her iPhone cell # and can not be opt out from iMessage receiving addresses. It is 'blue' as any other email addresses registered with her iMessage and appleID. 😟 I still don't know if she got the message or she just forgot to turn her iPad off. Apple should look into this! I know Canada is a small and unfortunately most expensive cellphone provider market and DataPlans are not as generous and affordable as in some other countries but OS should not be build on assumptions that everybody has >6GB data plan and is willing to spend all the data on some stupid pictures and messages from friends having no idea that they are using up all monthly data allowance. I think we deserve more control over where and how we send our msgs.

How to send SMS (text message) instead iMessage to iPhone (multiple device owner)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.