Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! 10 GB Memory Gone POOF! Ibook keeps downloading over and over and won't let me delete it.

Someone started a download of a textbook on my Mac and I clicked to stop the download. I tried to delete it but it wouldn't let me delete it. It was at 1.68 GB of 1.72 GB So I finished downloading it, all 1.72GB of it and I clicked delete. It wouldn't let me delete it. It started downloading again from the beginning! Over and over again each time I tried to delete it. Finally, I opened it to see if it had actually downloaded and it had. Then I clicked to delete it again and It asked me if I wanted to delete this book, I clicked yes. Then it started downloading the book again. So far I estimate it has downloaded about 10GB of my Mac's space and the book was originally on the computer on 5-2015, so it's been here a while, I just don't use iBooks so I didn't notice it. I can't get rid of it now. It just keeps eating up more and more space. I tried looking for a file folder to delete from but I can't find any. Please help. This is my first Mac and I've hardly put anything on it except one movie and a few pictures and suddenly POOF 50 GB of space is GONE! What is happening?!?!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 8:51 PM

5 replies

Oct 9, 2015 9:12 PM in response to sea83

I've not tried this, but I checked my account in the iTunes store (by launching iBooks > Store) and if you check your Purchases, and mouse over a book, you should see a little x in the top left corner of the book. I would assume that this will hide the purchase which should get rid of the multiple downloads.

Oct 11, 2015 5:02 PM in response to Eric Root

It's still showing it's partially downloaded now. I've stopped the download. It won't let me delete it. I've disconnected from the internet and it will not let me delete it. I'm afraid to finish the download again lest it eat up more hard drive space. And babowa, I've hid the purchase but it still does not get rid of it or get me the space back on my hard drive.

Help! 10 GB Memory Gone POOF! Ibook keeps downloading over and over and won't let me delete it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.