Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New hard drive

I'm buying a new Samsung 850 EVO for my early 2011 MacBook Pro. I've put all my important files on an external HD As my current HD is on its last leg. When I put the new Samsung in, will I need a start-up file? or wiil I need to put something on my external HD and use it to boot up the first time? Thanks

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 6:03 PM

If your computer’s firmware was upgraded to use Apple’s Internet Recovery system, restart it with the Option, Command, and R keys held down.

If not, you’ll need either a Mac OS X install DVD, or a bootable OS on the external drive, or a Time Machine backup made in Mac OS X 10.8 or newer.

(134689)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 6:03 PM in response to djmargo

If your computer’s firmware was upgraded to use Apple’s Internet Recovery system, restart it with the Option, Command, and R keys held down.

If not, you’ll need either a Mac OS X install DVD, or a bootable OS on the external drive, or a Time Machine backup made in Mac OS X 10.8 or newer.

(134689)

New hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.