Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Metadata Sorting Tag Editor Issues

I have a Windows 10 laptop with iTunes 12.3.0.44 64-bit installed on it. This is currently the most updated version of iTunes for Windows. I have been trying to organize my MP3 albums and in the process was trying to edit the MP3 metadata tags via iTunes. I have realized that any album which begins with 'A', 'The' etc iTunes decides to use its own intelligence of having them alphabetically sorted minus the 'A's and 'The's.

For example: Richard Clayderman's album 'A Little Night Music' gets sorted as 'Little Night Music'. iTunes under any circumstances will not let be manually override its 'sorting intelligence' mechanism. See the image below:

User uploaded file

In the example above, no matter how many times I try to type and define 'Sort As' with 'A Little Night Music', iTunes removes it and decides on its own how it wants to treat the album's sorting behavior. At the moment the only solution I can think of is to either switch my MP3 library to something other than iTunes or have my album sorted as 'AA Little Night Music'. Having two As kind of bypasses this issue but isn't the perfect approach.

Can I decide how I would like my music to be sorted as? Any help from anyone who has managed to fix this would be a great help.

iPhone 5, Windows 10, iTunes 12.3.0.44 64-bit

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 9:07 PM

5 replies

iTunes Metadata Sorting Tag Editor Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.