Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photos, grey, unable to delete/do anything

Hi,

I had about 8000 photos on iCloud. There was a lot of dups and generally unorganized. Deleting them on iCloud seemed to take forever so I thought I found a better way. I manually backed up iPhone to my PC. Then I deleted all photos from my iPhone and turned off iCloud photos. It gave me a message that I had 30 days to download my iCloud library before it would be deleted. Well my goal was for the library to be deleted, so I let 30 days go by. Day 31 I logged in and it shows 8000 files, but they are all grey and show a triangle with an exclamation point. When you click on a photo it says "cannot load item". I tried deleting them manually, but I get an error saying "unable to delete item, item could not be deleted due to a server error". I thought maybe I needed to give it more time, longer than 30 days, so I waited until day 45. The issue is exactly the same.

Any idea whats going on? Anyone have the same issue? Hopefully someone knows how to fix it. Seems like my old library is stuck on the iCloud photos servers.

I have screen shots showing what it looks like and the errors. If anyone would like to see, let me know.

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 7:59 PM

1 reply

Nov 6, 2016 7:18 AM in response to enors

I have exactly the same problem.

Deleted all photos about two months ago usign Safari in iCloud Photos website.

Today I have created a fresh Photos Library on my MacBook.
Then I activated iCloud Photos on my Mac.

Then I activated iCloud Photos on my iPhone.

Photos on my MacBook and iPhone are synched and working well.

But when I got to Apple's iCloud Photos website, all the old photos are grey and show a triangle with an exclamation point.

The new photos from my Mac & iphone are not visible on the website version.

Can't find a way to "purge" or reset the online Photos version.

Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks

Dan

iCloud Photos, grey, unable to delete/do anything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.