Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6s iMessage

Hello,

Yesterday my wife and I got two new 6s phones. I do not use iMessage, but my wife does.

We have never had a problem texting each other before. But now we do.

When I text her, all is well. She gets the text.

When she texts me, however, the text goes back to her phone as being sent by her. In other words, she types my phone number, then "test" in the text box and sends it along. Almost instantly, she gets a text that says "test" from XXX-XXX-XXXX which is HER phone number....

We have checked everything, my contact info is all correct.

We went to the ATT store and was told that each phone needs a separate Apple ID which we have never needed to do before, but hey, maybe "for my convenience" Apple has made this mandatory. I set her up with her own Apple ID. No fix.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. As far as I know, I am the only contact with this problem. Then again, I may be the only contact of hers not using iMessage, I don't know. I hate the idea of each device needing a separate Apple ID, how will "find my iPhone" work?

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 9:57 PM

4 replies

Oct 9, 2015 10:07 PM in response to Elahrairah01

yeah, defiantly create an appleid for each device. Since you're using the same ID on both devices iMessage is going to act a bit strange. If you are worried about losing purchases and music I highly suggest you check out Family Sharing. I have it setup and it's super easy to do. You can sign out of find my iPhone on the device when you log out of iCloud on it. Its best that each person has an AppleID because of stuff like this. Also if you are signed into the same iCloud account you are going to share contacts and eat up icloud backup space by backing up multiple devices! Check out family sharing! It's awesome

Oct 10, 2015 4:16 PM in response to Elahrairah01

Quick update for those interested...

Got it to work! Without changing Apple ID!

I hate the idea of log in then out, etc to go back and forth.

Anyway, it will work for you. I cannot even say exactly what it was but I did everything....airplane mode, log out, turn off then back on, cellular data on and off, etc. Somehow I was able to finally get the "send as text message" when I held on the blue bubble (it would only give an option of Delete before....

Now it sends SMS to my phone and my wife can keep iMessage for her friends.

Don't give up is all I can say. I should have written the steps down.

6s iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.