Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy/paste text origin?

There are some thing I hate about FCP X over its predecessor (which I still use a lot) and some things I like - such as the ability to apply text attributes to many clips at once. In FCP 7 that would be a matter of exporting an XML, and doing a TextEdit pass to edit the right field...

Anyhow, in a bunch of text elements inherited from Resolve (which got very buggy and strange with a whole lot of subtitles and keys) I end up with a long project full of straight text - fonts and formatting has largely arrived, but everything is aligned to the frame origin, which in FCP X is dead centre. That's OK on short names - but Professor Percival Hammersmith-Balderdash is chopped off at the edge of frame - and using the Transform tool doesn't fix that.

You can move text within the window a title at a time and have the text origin displayed as you do it, but not actually enter a precise value anywhere I can see. And if I move my text left origin to be at say -775, it's not stored when I save it as a style. So saving and applying styles, or copying and pasting attributes, has no effect on the 128 remaining titles in the show - they stay where they are. unless I'm missing something...

Of course if you're starting from scratch you might try a different approach - such as a Motion-based template - but these are already there. Any thoughts team? TIA.

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 8:16 PM

8 replies

Oct 10, 2015 1:07 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks Luis - that works for short lines of text, but I think you've misunderstood my question. Yes, you can use the transform tool to move text, and do a copy/ paste attributes to apply it to other instances. But the default text origin is halfway across the frame. So very long lines of text are cropped at the edge of frame. Moving the text within the generator allows you to move the origin anywhere you like with a mouse or pen, but not in a numerically precise way. And that transformation can't be copied to other clips, except by doing the same imprecise drag a clip at a time. So thanks, but we're no closer to this... Peter (with my usual login!)

Oct 10, 2015 3:20 PM in response to Peter Barrett

There are two types of text layout in FCPX, plain/basic — like you get with the Basic Title (and about 90% of all others) and a "Paragraph" layout, which is essentially a stripped down version of TextEdit embedded into FCPX. The paragraph layout allows for critical arrangement easily with Tab Stops and "bounds" control.

You can find one of them in Titles > Lower Thirds > Upper. It's an absolutely simple, stripped down title. No graphics.

User uploaded file

The default arrangement is as shown above. To make the Ruler tool appear, click the small blue rectangle at the upper corner of the viewer (you can turn off the ruler by clicking it again). You can right click on the ruler to set Tabs (based on the shown selections.) You can move tabs just as in TextEdit by click-dragging them to position. (Make sure All Text is selected that you need the tabs to apply to.) When you click and drag on a tab, you will get accurate position feedback above the tab. Zoom in for better precision. To remove a tab, simply drag it off the ruler.

The default for *this* LT is to have the paragraph bounds align the top of the *text* to Text Safe Zones. To adjust the bounds to whatever you require, grab the small square controls along the bounds edges. If you simply select the text without the ruler and there are blue dots along the corners and edges, you will stretch the text area and introduce scaling distortion to the region (there is a difference!) Text will not go beyond the left-right bounds of this layout type.

For a credits screen, you could grab the square on the bottom line of the paragraph layout control down to the bottom of the screen (and beyond if necessary — you can animate the entire pane with the transform parameters.) However, in the default configuration, text will flow down below the bottom of the bounds as needed. If you run into "irregularities", size the bounds to accommodate your text.

If you have Motion, you can create one of these with a most useful attribute: that of Auto-Shrink. Auto-shrink will automatically adjust the text size on the screen to fit within the bounds. It can also be designed to "compact" text by narrowing the characters if longer lines are used (caveat - all text is resized to match whatever is necessary on the longest line.) The use of "compact" text will be dependent on whether auto-shrink To All Margins is set, in which case the text is simply sized smaller.

At any rate, you could set tabs for each line and accurately arrange tab stops to help you align the text. If you have Motion, and you want to modify this lower third to accommodate Auto-Shrink, right click on the LT in the Titles browser and Open a Copy in Motion. Select the text layer and in the Inspector > Text > Layout > Layout Controls, simply right click on Auto-Shrink parameter and select Publish from the drop down menu. Save. That parameter will now be available to you in FCPX.

HTH

Oct 10, 2015 8:21 PM in response to fearless

You can convert all of them to the Upper "lower third" — all you have to do is drag the Upper text effect to the Basic Title on the storyline— you should see a green circle with a plus symbol appear; release the mouse and select Replace From Start (this will keep FCPX from applying the default length of the replacement title and keep the timing you've already set for the current title in the storyline). The text that WAS in the Basic Title will be copied (or retained) into the replacement title (Name will be substituted with whatever is currently in *your* title.) You can format each of your Titles using the Paragraph Layout. I think that's about the best you can expect to get from FCPX. You will have to repeat the procedure for each and every existing title. You can't copy/paste parameters from one title to another (no multiple changes at once from the Title Inspector pane). You can adjust Font Attributes (from the Text Inspector pane) on multiple selections of titles though which will help out if you decide to make "global" font changes, etc. (So don't use the Font selector in the Upper Title, use it from the Text inspector if you need to change more than one at a time... etc...)

Oct 11, 2015 3:13 AM in response to fearless

fearless wrote:

Thanks Luis - that works for short lines of text, but I think you've misunderstood my question. Yes, you can use the transform tool to move text, and do a copy/ paste attributes to apply it to other instances. But the default text origin is halfway across the frame. So very long lines of text are cropped at the edge of frame. Moving the text within the generator allows you to move the origin anywhere you like with a mouse or pen, but not in a numerically precise way. And that transformation can't be copied to other clips, except by doing the same imprecise drag a clip at a time. So thanks, but we're no closer to this... Peter (with my usual login!)

I think I did understand. My point is that since there are two ways to move the text, you can use one instead of the other. So if you want to apply an identical change to one hundred titles, use the transform tool on one title, and copy/paste attributes to all the others.

Copy/paste text origin?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.