Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule can't connect to internet

I just ordered a TC so that I could back up all my files from my Mac since my hard drive is completely out of space and boost my wifi signal. All the lights on my modem are green as well as the time capsule. I have restarted my computer, phone, and TC twice with no luck. It goes through all the steps, sets up the new connection for the TC network but I get this error message: "wifi has the self-assigned IP address ____ and will not be able to connect to the internet."

How do I get my devices to connect to the wifi network?

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 8:10 PM

4 replies

Oct 9, 2015 10:48 PM in response to parkea6758

You are setting it wrongly somewhere.

You must plug it by ethernet into the modem.. if the modem is a cable type, eg SB6141 two issues exist.

1. The easy one which is true for all cable modems is the need to power off for about 20min to forget the captured public IP linked to MAC address.

The TC can be set to dhcp mode on the internet tab.. then setup to dhcp and nat on the network tab.

After the 20min power up the modem.. wait another couple of min then power up the TC.

It should get the public IP and then it will work fine.

This applies to all cable modems without gateway or router in them.. generally these have a single ethernet port..

2. Some cable modems.. particularly that series of SB listed above have severe issues with Apple routers not working.. this is such a problem you will need to replace one or the other.

Tell us exactly what modem you have and exact setup.

Oct 10, 2015 10:01 AM in response to LaPastenague

I have a Netgear CMD31T. I have tried 3 separate times in the last 24 hours of disconnecting everything, letting it sit for 30 min to a few hours, and am still getting the same IP address error. All the lights are still green. Is there a way that I can completely reset my TC to create a different network? Or is this an issue of my cable modem?

Oct 10, 2015 12:44 PM in response to parkea6758

I am missing something here..

You have a cable modem .. which appears to be a standard pure cable modem.

But from your first post you are not plugging the TC directly into it?? What other equipment do you have?

You say the phone doesn't connect.. Do you mean wifi for iphone? Or do you mean voip? There is no phone circuit in either modem or TC so you need to spell this out.

For the TC to work it must be plugged directly into the cable modem.

And it must get a public IP on the WAN interface.

So please show me the following screenshots..

Click your TC.. and give me the summary screen.

User uploaded file

Then click the edit button and give me the internet tab and network tab.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Time Capsule can't connect to internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.