Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN / Share Alias Issues

I have a 10.8.5 server VPN that works fine apart from, the Alias's to the shared drives. If I map and mount a drive over VPN and create an Alias it works only for that session, then won't work the next time the user connects and double clicks it. Works fine on the local network but not via VPN, i have to re mount the share while connected to VPN and make a new Alias. Also notice that since Lion and shares saved as favourites in the finder bar disappear after reboot also. Also any put down in the dock do the same thing. Seems like the Alias's are getting corrupted or something? Very strange anyone else come across this?

Mac mini, OS X Server, 10.8.5

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 10:30 PM

1 reply

Oct 10, 2015 12:38 AM in response to infrasonic

Hi,

Just use the "connect to server" command+K from the menu bar in the Finder. And only use the IP address of that server, any other address like a DNS name might not function correctly. If you use the "connect to server" with smb://192.168.1.1 or afp://ip.address.of.that.server you will always get a connection.

Add your favorites there, it will work everytime.

The only way I have seen it work OK, if you use connect to server from the Finder and drag that share into the dock. That should work, but I would still recommend just using the method mentioned above, that will never fail.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

VPN / Share Alias Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.