Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if I delete iPhoto albums do they disappear from Photo Library

I would like to free up some hard drive space and was wondering what happens if I delete files from iPhoto.

as they appear to be duplicated in photo library are the files in there safe from deletion?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 12:32 AM

1 reply

Oct 10, 2015 12:47 AM in response to compulsiveobsessiveconstructor

You can delete images from your iPhoto Library. This will not delete the Photos in your Photos Library. But you will probably not reclaim much free storage. When you migrated the iPhoto Library to Photos the Photos.app created hard links to the photos in your iPhoto Library. This way you are having different image files in Photos that are sharing the storage with the photos in the iPhoto Library. The storage will only be released if you delete the photos both in your iPhoto Library and the Photos library, see:

Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support

Six Colors: The (hard) link between Photos and iPhoto

if I delete iPhoto albums do they disappear from Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.