Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

JPG files disappear when opened in Preview

So I recently installed OS X El Capitan and everything seemed to be going alright until I went to open some recently saved JPG files that I edited in Lightroom. I go to open the file, it opens in preview, and the picture disappears. The preview window is open, but is showing no photo. If I zoom in and out, the photo will show, but only briefly. I've discovered this now happens with every JPG file I have but not with RAW files. RAW files open perfectly fine. The JPG files can be opened in every other program without a hitch except for Preview. Has anyone had this issue yet? I'm still quite new to Mac so I really don't know where I would start for troubleshooting. The only thing I have done was run First Aid and obviously restarted.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 3:00 AM

29 replies

Oct 12, 2015 2:12 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Links to photos that will not open properly in El Capitan Preview.

1) Vertical photo, visible for few seconds with Preview in El Capitan, no problem in Yosemite.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3l5hx01tfqkyqlp/LMP33671.jpg?dl=0

2) Horizontal photo that does not even totally open with Preview in El Capitan, and quickly closes. No problem in Yosemite Preview.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/39eyh1cje558z2z/LMP33696.jpg?dl=0

I have Yosemite in my MacPro 2009, where post processing was done using Lightroom CC.

The El Capitan is in my MacBook Retina 2013, and the photos from Dropbox files have this problem All vertical, some horisontals too.

Oct 12, 2015 2:48 AM in response to pajamies

As I suspected, both files open on my mac without trouble. I am running El Capitan. I don't have Lightroom in mac.

That suggests that something you have installed in your mac is causing a problem. Maybe some kernel extension installed by Lightroom that is not totally EC compatible, or maybe something else entirely. Apparently just the fact that the file was edited by LR is not enough to cause it.

Maybe if some more people (with and without LR on their macs) test it, we begin to get enough data points to start zeroing in on the cause.

Oct 12, 2015 3:05 AM in response to ailat

Hi

I downloaded one of the images and it opened fine for me. However, I've problems with images in Preview in the past and it turned out to be a user profile based issue. Have you tried opening them in the guest user account or setting up a test/dummy account on your Mac to open them? In the end I just had to set up a new user profile and transfer everything over to it and delete the one that was experiencing the problem.

Oct 13, 2015 1:41 AM in response to pajamies

pajamies wrote:

So I erased the MacBook hard drive and reinstalled El Capitan.

No additional programs or anything were loaded, no Lightroom absolutely no additional programs.

Went to my Dropbox account through Safari, downloaded one the photos that you saw above.

AND IT DID NOT OPEN WITH PREVIEW !

How do I get back to Yosemite ??

Sorry to hear that. Just to make sure: did you create a new account or did you migrate your old account? If you did, then you may have defeated the purpose of the clean install.

Oct 13, 2015 2:57 AM in response to pajamies

YYou don't need to do that. You need to go to profiles and groups in the settings menu and create a new user profile. You can use your iCloud account, that shouldn't have any bearing on it, but give this new user profile a different name to what you've used before (eg include ypyr surname it just your first name is on the original or vice versa, or just add a 1 to the end of it). This way you'll have a totally fresh user profile with no settings copied over from your original. Any settings/ files can be copied over manually.

Oct 13, 2015 3:49 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I now again erased the hard disk in the MacBook, and reinstalled the El Capitan, (for which I had to give my AppleID !)

No iCloud. Had to reveal my country to get the correct keyboard. Created new user ID.

Used the Safari to download the afore mentioned photo (woman and man in wine cellar), which photo was clearly visible in Safari.

Opened the photo in Preview. Stayed open for a fraction of a second.

Preview can't handle these in El Capitan, although they open fine in the Yosemite Preview on my MacPro

Oct 13, 2015 4:17 AM in response to ailat

I have this issue too. No Lightroom installed (never). But some jpgs I receive by mail do not open in Preview under El Capitan. That is: I very briefly see the image when I open it, then it disappears, leaving a blank window instead. In the thumbnail sidebar I do see the picture, but not in the main window.

If I open the file in other applications (e.g. Gimp) there's no problem.

Oct 13, 2015 5:03 AM in response to HansC

HansC wrote:

I have this issue too. No Lightroom installed (never). But some jpgs I receive by mail do not open in Preview under El Capitan. That is: I very briefly see the image when I open it, then it disappears, leaving a blank window instead. In the thumbnail sidebar I do see the picture, but not in the main window.

If I open the file in other applications (e.g. Gimp) there's no problem.

If some jpgs show the problem and some don't, it would be helpful to see if there is anything different. Could you please post somewhere like dropbox one jpeg that triggers the problem and one that doesn't?

It appears that this is specific to some trait in the jpg format. Do you see it in any other type of image? If you save it as new jpg in Gimp, for example, does the new file also cause the problem? Or if you save as png?

JPG files disappear when opened in Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.