Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatically synching content from iMac and Macbook

Hi,

I travel a lot with work so rely heavily on my Macbook currently running (0S X Yosemite 10.10.5) but when I do get to work from home I use my iMac also running 10.10.5.

I haven't figured out how to satisfactorily get the two computers to talk to each other so that when amendments are made on one computer the newer content is automatically updated on the other computer. So for example, when I'm away and work from the macbook and get home, I'd love for the iMac to recognise the new content and automatically update it and similarly when I'm at home, and working from the iMac I'd like the macbook to be updated with the new content without me manually (and inconsistently!) juggling files back and forth myself.

Someone recommended carbon copy cloner but I haven't figured out from the website / youtube if it does exactly this or how.

On a related note, I have a mac mini that I'd like to back up all of the computers on if possible as well using the same automated process...

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

iMac, null

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 3:08 AM

3 replies

Oct 10, 2015 7:07 AM in response to jakestar99

You could use something like Dropbox.com (2GB free) to keep a folder tree in sync between as many systems as you like. Dropbox should also update the other Mac (or multiple Macs) immediately as long as you have a network connection.

Chronosync is suppose to keep 2 Macs in sync.

If you search the App Store for "sync", you will most likely find other apps that will keep 2 Macs in sync for specific folders.

As for the Mac mini, you could look at using the same sync'ing tools, but a backup is not always the same as a sync. A backup is for restoring and changes on the backup system should not propagate back to the other systems (my opinion).

I use CrashPlan (the free option) to backup all the laptops in my home (as well as my Mom's iMac 300 miles away) to a Mac mini in my basement that has lots of extra storage on it. CrashPlan encrypts the backups and works well across the internet, so I'm able to backup even when I'm away from home. It runs automatically at night so I do not need to do anything, except make sure my Mac is awake for the backup.

You could use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup each Mac to a different folder for each Mac onto the Mac mini and it can be scheduled so it happens automatically.

There are other backup utilities that can perform similar services.

I do use Carbon Copy Cloner, Dropbox.com and CrashPlan

Oct 10, 2015 5:40 PM in response to jakestar99

jakestar99 wrote:

Cheers Bob, the challenge is when I travel I don't always have access to the internet so dropbox isn't going to work and I need much much more than 2GB. I'll have a look at Chronosync though. Thanks!

Dropbox is perfectly happy to sync when you do get back to internet access. And if you want to pay for additional storage you can. Just so you know.

NOTE: I have only read about Chronosync, so if it does not do what you want or cost more than you desire, again I suggest you search the App Store for "sync" and see if there are other apps that do what you want.

Another utility is BitTorrent Sync. The only downside to BitTorrent Sync is that it does not transfer all Mac attributes. But the files are not attribute sensitive, it might do the job too. Again, I have read about it, but no used it myself.

Automatically synching content from iMac and Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.