Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not importing correct 'date taken'

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 13" with Retina Display (2015). It's my first Apple product and - so far - I love it. However, there is just one thing bugging me that I can't seem to sort out.

All I want my MBP for is music, storing photos and the internet. As I don't have any other Apple gadgets I am not interested in having photos saved in the iCloud - I just want everything on my MBP. I have about 6,000 photos that I want to import into Photos. But when I import any in it displays the date as the date I imported them, i.e. not the actual date they were taken. All photos were taken on cameras with correct date/time and when I imported them into my old PC (Adobe Photoshop - I think) all photos automatically displayed the correct dates.

Is there a simple way to sort this in Photos? If not are there any decent alternatives (Picasa?)? I am not bothered about editing - I just want somewhere where I can easily view them in chronological order.

Thanks,

Glen.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 5:22 AM

10 replies

Apr 2, 2017 3:09 AM in response to Apple_Glen_UK

I know I am replying to a very old post but after a year of having Mac I have the same problem. I import old images from Windows or from an iPhone attachment and the date created is actually the date at which it is imported into the Mac not the date on which it was taken. This means that I can't sort a series of images by the date on which they were shot. Like many people I find Apple Photos (and its weird relationship to Finder) deeply frustrating and impractical compared to MS Windows Explorer. In fact I'm going to buy a cheap PC on which to load and keep my photos and give up with the Apple Photos app. Which seems a shame as it defeats the point of buying a Mac in the first place.

Oct 10, 2015 9:19 AM in response to Apple_Glen_UK

How are you importing them, from what are you importing them, and how are you viewing the dates?

Example 1: Do you import them directly into the Photos app from the camera's memory card and view their dates there?

Example 2: Do you import them by copying from a Windows disk to your Mac disk and view their dates in Finder?

There are many other possibilities.

Oct 10, 2015 9:20 AM in response to Apple_Glen_UK

Not directly related to your "date" issue but you did say "As I don't have any other Apple gadgets I am not interested in having photos saved in the iCloud - I just want everything on my MBP.". You will lose your photos if you do not back them up onto the cloud, an external drive, a network drive etc. Computer hard drives fail and yours will fail at some point. So a word of advice, back up your photos if you value them or you will lose them.

Oct 10, 2015 9:47 AM in response to Apple_Glen_UK

Apple_Glen_UK wrote:

All my photos are on an external hard drive. I've looked online and others seem to have the sane problem but I haven't yet found a solution.

OK, that answers one of my questions: you are importing from an external hard drive. Since you came from another OS, I'm guessing that it is in some Windows format (FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc.).

Let's skip to my third question: How are you viewing the dates?

If you are using the Finder to view them, Finder only looks at the file creation/modification dates, which are attributes of the file containing the photo. The date the photo was taken is contained within the data portion of the file. You'll need to use something more specialized to photos than Finder. Some applications, like Apple's new Photos application, will want to import the photos into their own databases before they will display the dates they were taken. Others allow viewing the internal metadata without importing the photos.

Back to my first question: How are you importing the photos?

Implied in that question: Into what are you importing them?

Oct 11, 2015 10:34 PM in response to markwmsn

Hi Mark,

Yes my photos were previously all on a Windows system.

I have Photos on my MacBook Pro. I have been importing them by simply opening Photos and File > Import and then selecting them. Once done Photos shows them as being taken that day (i.e. today) and not the true date/time taken. However, if I go to the folder where the files are stored and select Get Info it displays the correct dates/times the photos were taken.

I'm trying to explain it the best I can. All the previous programs I've used in the past for storing photos have always automatically showed my photos in the correct order/with correct dates. I'm unsure why Photos doesn't do it.

Oct 11, 2015 11:25 PM in response to Apple_Glen_UK

That's most mysterious and contrary to my experiences.

There are (at least) two places in the Photos application where the date taken ought to be visible and correct:

1. In the Photos tab (if not viewing the sidebar) or the Photos entry at the top of the sidebar (Years, Collections, Moments).

2. In the Info window (displayed by selecting one or more photos and selecting Window > Info (or command-I).

For me, they both show the data taken.

For you, they show the date imported??

In the Finder, file creation and modification dates appear in the Info window or in the list format of a regular Finder window.

For me, they usually show the date the file was created (which may be days after the photo was taken).

For you, they show the date the photo was taken (even if it was uploaded days later)??

I believe that some Windows tools (and a few Mac tools) dummy up a file creation date from the photo's internal metadata (date taken). That could explain the Finder results you are seeing.

The results you report in Photos make it sound like something forced the internal metadata to match the actual file creation date, essentially swapping the two sets of dates. I don't know why that would happen.

Have you tried taking new pictures and copying them straight from the camera to the Mac without passing through the PC? If so, do they behave the same way as the ones that have been processed by your PC programs?

Oct 12, 2015 2:00 PM in response to markwmsn

I've been playing around with it trying to sort out my photos/get the dates correct but am not having much luck.

I tried plugging my camera directly into my MacBook and the photos imported with the correct dates/times on so, at least going forward, it looks like things are sorted which is great. However, whenever I try importing any of my 6,000-or-so old photos from my external hard drive the dates are always incorrect. For example, I tried importing a small selection of photos which I know were taken on 25th April 2011. But when I import them Photos displays the date as 2nd September 2013??? When I go to the Finder and view Get Info on the files under Modified at the top the date/time taken is correct. Photos doesn't seem to be reading this correctly though.

I'm sure there must be a way of getting around this - I just don't know how! 😕

Oct 15, 2015 3:01 AM in response to Apple_Glen_UK

Ok; so I've been playing around with this more and I think I see where the problem is. Whenever I import photos directly from my camera Photos displays the correct date/time. However, when I import from an external harddrive it is displaying the 'date taken' as the date I transferred the photos onto my hard drive - at least that's what it looks like to me.

So I'm glad I know what is happening, but I still don't know how to get around this. Is there perhaps a program I can use which will help sort this? I would like to have all my photos showing correct dates.

Photos not importing correct 'date taken'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.