Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use of the USB connection on an Airport Extreme

I have the latest "tower" style Airport Extreme, and see it has a USB connection on the back. I'm assuming an external HDD can be connected to this outlet ?

So do I use e.g. a 2 TB HDD as an "NAS" device, or as a simple "Time Machine" (or is that the same thing by different names ?) Any likely problems in setting up such an arrangement ?

Dan

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11), iPad Mini , iPhone 5c, Watch

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 3:06 AM

1 reply

Oct 10, 2015 4:29 AM in response to Dan Mitchell1

NAS implies more than any router plus a USB disk has to offer.. eg incremental backup handled internally..

A NAS is faster (even the cheapest one is faster than USB2 HARD DISK plugged into a router).

It has other functionality.. sometimes lots of functionality.. whereas the airport has none..

eg .. better brands have remote access.. using several protocols, Apple airports have AFP.

Better brands have vpn, apple have none.

Better brands have FTP.. apple have none.

Better brands have media services.. apple have none.

The list is endless.. think of anything the Apple router plus USB (or even if you have internal disk on a TC it does not have it).

Apple designed it to do Time Machine backups. You can also load files on it.. good luck with backing them up once there because Apple has no provision for that.. you will need to buy a 3rd party backup software.. ie it is not recognised use of a TC or AE to store files on it.

You can use it to store some files.. but for heaven's sake back them up somewhere.

And don't use it for live files.. it is too likely to corrupt them.

Use of the USB connection on an Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.