Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hiding the built-in screen from the system

The screen in my 27-inch, late 2012 iMac developed problems which make it unusable. I don't have the bread to replace the screen so I'm using an external monitor set as master.

Since the startup and safe mode screens only show on the built-in, this is less than ideal.

I've tried disconnecting the two internal screen cables but unless the video cable is attached, the heat sensor is disconnected and fan runs at full speed.

With the video cable attached and the power cable disconnected, the system thinks the built-in is still active and I can't see the startup or safe mode screens.

My questions are these:

Is there a practical way to cause the system not to see the built-in screen during startup without detaching the internal video cable?

Or,

Is there a way to allow the fan to detect the screen heat sensor, with both the internal video and power cables detached (or partially detached)?

I don't mind cutting through something on the screen cables if necessary. The screen is junk anyway.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2015 8:29 AM

I did the same thing with a 2006 iMac and it was easy because it did not have temp sensor leads integrated into the video cable.

I couldn't fine a good close up image of the video cable/connector and without an electrical print you are most likely just going to somehow track down which two are the temp sensor leads. I'm not certain, but I would suspect that the two sensor leads are going to be on one end or the other of the video connector.

Good luck..!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2015 8:29 AM in response to spoketune

I did the same thing with a 2006 iMac and it was easy because it did not have temp sensor leads integrated into the video cable.

I couldn't fine a good close up image of the video cable/connector and without an electrical print you are most likely just going to somehow track down which two are the temp sensor leads. I'm not certain, but I would suspect that the two sensor leads are going to be on one end or the other of the video connector.

Good luck..!

Hiding the built-in screen from the system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.